Removing a finger

I nearly did tonight.

Angle grinder was involved of course, and it was quite deep into the cut in the steel when it jammed and kicked back.

Dug right into the first knuckle on my left index finger and, I now know what bone looks like.

That'll be my car building schedule somewhat compromised now.

Oh, well. I believe there are two types of shed type hobbyists. Those who have been bitten by an angle grinder and those who are going to be bitten by an angle grinder.

Still, at least I still have ten fingers. Another fraction and my life would have changed for ever and that is no exaggeration.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Ouch. My worst angle grinder incident to date was just lightly touching the flat of a still-spinning disc onto the flat pad behind your thumb and index finger (look at your left hand on the keyboard - that one).

Took the skin off to a couple of mm deep over a couple of square inches. Didn't hurt much at the time but stung like a stingy thing for weeks afterwards.

At least yours is only a little nick ;-)

BTW if you have a kit that needs a home now you're unable to continue I'll take it off your hands (oops - bad choice of words) and I won't even charge you for taking it away.

Reply to
PCPaul

Meep!

Thanks! I need to cut some paving slabs diagonally, and my father-in-law has a large angle grinder with a stone cutting disk...

Reply to
Abo

Holy shit dude! I bet that was seriously painful and the air went seriously blue. If you had lopped it off though, surely as long as you'd not lost it, and iced it, it could have been re-attached? Although I guess it wouldn't exactly be a smooth, neat, clean cut would it with a grinder disc.

The left index is like, the useful finger on my left hand, as I'm right handed and all the fingers on my left are pretty useless, except for the index finger, which is a poking finger. Who wants to guess where it's poked today :-p ?

Still, as you say, thankfully you didn't lose the finger - I imagine it's quite a mess though, jpeg? Did you go to A&E? I guess it's the kind've thing like, you say "Ah I'll go tmrw if I get a chance" - but really dude, if you haven;t already, get it shown to a doc somewhere and get it cleaned and dressed properly, because it's hit and presumably damaged the bone, it'll be very, very susceptible to infection, and bone infections are really, really NOT cool. It needs fully irrigating and disinfecting then dressed with a proper anti-infection silver dressing, that'll protect it from nasties and help it to heal. Also, if the tendons have been sliced/damaged it's important you get them sorted asap. I have a mate who went to pick up a broken glass at a party and someone bumped into him, causing him to basically fall on it with his hand, slicing all the tendons. He had to have a load of physio and an operation or two, just under a local, and it was still a long time before his fingers were any use again. Although, don't let that worry you, ISTR there was an diagnosis issue with the fat, 30+ stone butterball bint that we have as one of the GPs in the village, the one I've mentioned before that I've recently ditched over, well, other issues of total incompetence.

GWS you clumsy silly billy :-)

Reply to
DanB

HEAVY duty gloves. Goggles. Be afraid, very afraid.

Other than that, fill your boots as the saying goes...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I took to using those chain mail gloves butchers wear at one point.

Reply to
Conor

You are Reg Prescott, AICM5F Cupid Stunts.

Reply to
JackH

Ouch.

Pink.

Bad luck. Were you wearing gloves? I don't like using angle grinders for cutting steel, unless the grinder is secured in one of those supports that turns it into a chop saw. If cutting sheet steel I use a nibbler or power shears.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Gloves ? Those were sitting on top of the welder doing nothing. Yes, i'm an idiot.

Unfortunately, none of those other tools would have worked for the job. I may try a reciprocating saw for the other one.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle