Bought a project type34, -65

Hello everyone!

There was awfully silent here (or my news server is missing a lot of news) so something potentially interesting to fill the void. ;)

Actually I bought it a month ago but I bought it from Germany (mobile.de, wasn't cheap either, 5500 euros) and it took a long time to get it transported to here (Finland).

Some pictures I took a week ago can be seen here:

Also:
It's a drivable project: Most of the mechanics work (like engine, brakes and steering) and even some electrics but chassis needs a lot of work and there are a lot of (square(!)) patches around (and who knows how much bondo).

On the other hand, this is the only whole car I've seen for sale at this side of the pond for a long time (within my budget limits: 15 k euros is way too much for my hobby budget). It might have been cheaper to get one from US (or a better one at same price) and transport that to here, but I really can't say, maybe some of you can? (Jan?).

I could still do that if necessary, it isn't hard to sell a t34 here (even project), if the price is right. :)

Also the doors fit quite badly and obviously have had some kind of damage, need some work too.

But I'm in no hurry, we'll see what I can do. :)

Primary goal is to get it road legal (some holes to patch, brakes) and reliable driver (engine, fuel hoses, brake hoses). Then I have time to think the real restauration and generic appearance. That will be a lot of work, Karmann is known to make complicated steel structures into chassis. ;)

T34 is so rare here that even a project will raise interest in every local VW meeting, so I plan to visit those as much I can (for that you need a reliable machine), at earliest next summer. Also meetings are a great opportunity to get connected to other hobbyists who may have parts. Fortunately knowledge isn't hard to get, the internet serves quite well in that problem.

Only other t34 I've seen here in years looks like this:

It's rebuild was completed this spring.

Reply to
Tuomas

Awesome find :) Good thing you saved it, not many around.

Shipping from here to Finland would be roughly $2500-$3000. I have some contacts for you if you need.

I need my Goth shipped from Finland to here.. another $3000. Which I still don't have. My next vehicle on the shopping list is a 4wd Jeep Cherokee. Need one before the winter hits... I now live in Virginia, where the climate is much more like in Finland. We get snow and ice here, they say. And I live in the mountains.

Besides I miss having a 4wd play toy :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Different climates! In Australia there is maybe not quite as much rust but the vinyl dashboards are usually split in numerous places from the heat and UV. Expensive to repair as well, just had a quote for my Type 3 dash to get recovered at about $450 Aust. The shape looks good but the finish is ultra shiny black, not terribly genuine. The KG,s, despite being 45 years old are still a fine looking car. John

Reply to
John