Right then, lets do this properly.

ISTR a 156 starts at under 3k these days. Won't be a minter, but should be sound enough.
Probably wouldn't get a nice Nuvola Blue car for that money, though - they're pretty rare, and look scruffy very quickly.

Yeah, just done a nationwide search on Autotrader, just Alfas in general with the keyword "nuvola" - it returned just 13 results nationwide.
Now, ignoring the ones 10k and above, which are obviously all fairly new, there are four - one 98/S 156 2.5V6 with 42k on the clock, been garaged, blue leather, wood pack, etc, for 5750, and that isn't far from me, there's a 1.8TS Lusso 156, 2000 model for 6700, a 99/T 166 3.0 24v Super Lusso for 6999, and a 00/W 166 Super 3.0 for 7990.
Are the 1.8s worth getting, or is it best looking out for a 2 litre ones? Also, what are the 3 litre V6 166s like as far as balance/weight distribution goes?

Well if I got one I'd take that chance. I'm sure there are loads of reasons to get an Alfa, but the main reason for me would be to have a car in that colour, so if I was to get one it would be Nuvola Blue, nothing else.
Peter

About right.
It's a 1500 option, ISTR.

1.8 has, ISTR, 140bhp-ish. So no slouch. But..... most will be poverty spec on steel wheels etc, as they were the most popular fleet model.

Black and red also look good :-)

reasons
that
Nah, Nuvola or Notatall for me :-)
Mind you, my brother's company car (147 Selespeed Lusso) was bought brand new from trade sales for 13k - that's in red. Flat red though (did they do a metallic plain red?). It doesn't look too bad, but personally if I was buying new I'd much rather pay the extra 1500 for Nuvola. Problem is, to buy one new you'd effectively be looking at an extra 7k or so, as the list price for the ones trade sales are knocking out at 13k is more like 19k, so it'd be 1500 on top of the dealer list price. Hence me wanting to find a reasonably priced (and I know that will not equate to "cheap") second hand one, which would be hard work. Definitely one to keep the eye open for.
Peter
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Good man

Ignore the 1.8, completely. Not cos they're bad, just because they're not V6s
Follow your heart when it comes to Alfas, don't buy a four cylinder one "because it's economical and the cam belt costs less to fix", if you're gonna buy an Alfa then buy the one you want. There is no substitute for the V6. Four pot and diseasel ones have all been owned by morons who get them "to show people I'm a bit of a driver" and then go on complaining about the cost of a set of plugs and that "servicing isn't cheap". Alfas aren't meant to be cheap to run. Don't skimp. Buy a V6, it might be a tad (and it is a tiny bit) less responsive to the steering but it's worth it for the noise and the throttle response that you just don't get in the four pot cheapskate ones.
I've had 6 Alfas, a 164 Q4 (V6, 4wd, brilliant), 155 Q4 (Integrale engine and running gear, very bloody good, like a sensible Integrale to drive), 164 V6 x2 (excellent), and 2x 164 2.0 TS (good, but lacking in soul, and the engine is a lot gruffer than in a V6). If I had the choice, I'd *never* buy another four pot one.
--
Pete M

Ford Capri - Mercedes 500 SEL - Sierra XR4x4

To be honest, I'd also avoid the 2.5V6, as it's not actually that much more powerful than the 2lt TSpark, but it's a hell of a lot heavier.
3lt V6 is the way to go.

Romeo
older
Go
sure
I'd argue that it's the best, I know of lots of superb handling front wheel drivers.

These are fine, but the driver isn't as focussed as I was hoping for.

It may well be too-soft tyres. The fronts are at 4 mm, the rears at 5 mm, I'll check the pressures when I fill it for today's trip.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Well whatever I do, I do it the same to all cars! :)
It could be tyre pressures...?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

156
A little while back I was asking about 156 V6s, mainly because I had a bit of an idea about getting an Alfa (not being model specific) in Nuvola Blue, and I remember SteveH saying the exact same thing about the V6s, basically the balance not being very good. Have you driven a 2.0TS 156? At a guess I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Peter

It's not that they're not very good, it's just that they're not as good as the 2lt TSpark - which is an exceptional FWD saloon.
They are very nose-heavy, which does dull the experience, but they're not as bad as Dervy is making out.
I'm sure PeteM is right about the 155 Widebody, though, as talking to an aquaintance who's had both, he reckons the 155 Widebody is a good way of getting a cheap 156, IYSWIM.

Romeo
older
Go
bit
Blue,
basically
guess I

Hmm. Exception? No, just good.

I'll check the tyre pressures, which may be too soft. But even so, it's not especially agile when turning in. It delays, it thinks about it and there's even a bit of a squelch and a lag.
I don't get that with the infinitely inferior* Ka. So the Alfa must be knackered.
*In your opinion Steve, of course.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
DervMan wrote:

You're not going fast enough in the Ka then...
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I've driven the V6 and the Twin Spark 156. Personally, I think the "too heavy at the nose" argument is a load of bollocks. Ok, it's not /quite/ as sharp as the 4 pot one, but it's a V6 Alfa ffs. Therefore it's gorgeous. You just have to adjust your driving style to allow for a little tiny bit more delay before it turns in, after that they're fine. Understeer is *much* less of an issue than in something like a Peugeot 406 V6.
Besides, I want a 156 GTA.
--
Pete M

Ford Capri - Mercedes 500 SEL - Sierra XR4x4

Blue,
I've borrowed a 1.8, which I enjoyed. Felt much sharper.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

you like diesels. Therefore your opinion doesn't count.
</fx embarrased>
although today I was scooting about in a TDCi Fiesta, and it wasn't /that/ bad.
--
Pete M

Ford Capri - Mercedes 500 SEL - Sierra XR4x4

The PSA group have always been good at diesels ;-)
In wrote:

I have to say, if I was enough of a cheapskate wallet-hugging miser to actually want a small new diseasel [1], instead of a car with a proper petrol engine, I'd consider a TDCi Fiesta. They go quite well as long as you don't expect to have fun, nice and torquey when on boost, and they sound - rather comically in my view - like a quieter version of a slightly cammy, turboed Mk1 Fiesta 1.1.
[1] although I'm half tempted to get a Xantia turbodiesel for the jaunt to work. [2] [2] mainly because they can be had in decent condition for 300 [3] [3] and you can run 'em on chip fat [4] [4] and I couldn't give a fuck if I kill it, it's only a diseasel.
--
Pete M

Ford Capri - Mercedes 500 SEL - Sierra XR4x4

I'd prefer my PSA diesel engine in a PSA car, to be honest ;-)

Good choice, IMHO. But I like quirky cars.

SteveH wrote:

Best place for them, means I stay away from them.
--
slightly greasy solar atoms...

Stick to your rebadged Fords, then ;-)
I really rate a lot of PSA stuff.
The Pug 405 always appealed to me - especially the hot ones, always wanted a 205 GTi or a 309 Goodwood, too.
Not convinced about some of the later stuff, mind, but most of their 70s/80s stuff rocked.
Visa GTi anyone?