sat nav gen me up

Well the time has come to get some satnav,

need something that does door to door

anyone explain the difference between 7 and 8 digit postcode searching?

and a tom tom one V2 for 180 quid good or bad price?

cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob

There was a post on alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains newsgroup pointing out where to get a Tomtom one for £160, but £180 sounds a decent enough price. I have Tomtom on my PDA, I've never used owt else so can't comment on how it is compared to any other. All I know is, sat nav rocks, I arrive stress-free at my destination and the missus isn't in a strop cos she can't read a feckin' simple map ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Yes. In York, YO26 4LP and YO26 4LTs are streets. YO26 4LU is a building.

It's an okay price, but personally and having used a bunch of units, cheaper and simpler is better.

That's why I've very recently bought a Garmin i2. It's compact, can run on batteries, USB or the in-car mini-USB charger, can have POIs like speed camera alerts and such like, and best of all it's £90.

The software I run on the Palm, for example, can tell me my rate of climb, that sort of thing - not especially handy even in a Saab heh.

Reply to
DervMan

Tomtom is the way to go.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yes...8 digit postcodes don't exist in the main. I think you mean 5 and

7 digit. 5 digit will take you to the approximate area of a town and 7 digit to the street. In short, don;t touch anything that's not 7 digit.

Good. It's usually £20 more than that.

Reply to
Conor

And got slated to hell on The Gadget Show.

Reply to
Conor

Eh? All three postcodes have 7 digits - it's just that one has one unique delivery point, whereas the others don't, so locating to the centre of that postcode is going to be more accurate as it's unique to one building.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Tom Tom One GB at

use... code: BPCTT289848NEW code: RSAXMAS

And it's £160 delivered - which I'm told is a very good price.

Reply to
Iridium

You're right, well spotted.

What I meant to say is that YO26 4L covers a relatively large area (multiple streets and buildings) whereas another letter covers an individual street or building.

Reply to
DervMan

I suppose that wouldn't surprise me, because it isn't really a gadget, it's a tool for a job. As such, it's great. I can do away with my 16-bit colour screens, MP3 playback and touchscreen for the sake of it being half price.

I didn't see it but it doesn't change my experience of the device... :)

Reply to
DervMan

...which was tested alongside two others.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, well sort of. Except addresses starting with the same first 6 digits (or looking at it another way, the first part, plus first two of the second bit) aren't neccessarily all in the same localised area. It's often the case, but when new developments spring up and the post office just randomly allocate any available postcode in that sector (i.e. YO26 4) then it screws things up, so you might get 80% of places covered by YO26 4L all in the same area, and the other 20% somewhere completely different (not ages away, but far enough away for it to be an inconvenience if you're relying on that assumption being correct, IYSWIM).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yup.

You remember our old place? YO26 4YF, a mile from the new place as the crow flies. By road, it's north of the railway line and 1.6 miles by road

*assuming you don't get lost*.

A 5 digit post code system is only useful if it has the street name, then...

Reply to
DervMan

Yup - postcode sectors can be bloody huge. The unique way the post office assign postcodes basically means that you can't rely on there being any real logic to it regarding the location of postcodes relative to the letters in them.

Aye, but given that most systems allow street name lookup anyway (just based on town name) then it's probably not going to have a lot of point - generally people either have a full postcode or not at all.

Reply to
AstraVanMan