sat nav/GPS

what's it like? i thinking of grabbing a PDA with tom tom 3 installed as i keep getting lost when out and about :)

Reply to
Vamp

Hopefully I'll be able to let you know by the end of the week, I'm just waiting for my car cradle and GPS receiver to arrive so I can use my Palm for Sat. Nav.

Reply to
SteveH

getting lost when

That's about the best approach, cheap but effective.

The easiest trap to fall into, is believing it is right all the time and just obeying it. But you can never become lost, merely misguided.

At its best, it's superb, at its worst, it mucks you about something chronic.

If you want tips on what to buy, there are some bargain routes worth considering rather than buying a complete package from the high street.

Reply to
Questions

Vamp raved thus:

:: what's it like? i thinking of grabbing a PDA with tom tom 3 :: installed as i keep getting lost when out and about :)

It works well! I've got the traffic plugin which downloads traffic data as you go which is useful and saved me from a big wait the other day on the A1. Occasionally my phone loses the GPRS connection as I drive around but if you give it a few seconds and hit 'update traffic' in the iPAQ then you're back online.

And don't forget to download the Checkpoint plugin to warn you about those pesky speed cameras...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

keep getting lost when

How spooky! I just got an XDA last week, and bought the GPS gubbins to go with it, downloaded the TomTom stuff and I'm off! It's great, although I've not used it yet to find the way to somewhere that I don't already know :/ Don't buy a pda with it already installed, much too expensive. Get a PDA or an XDA off Ebay (I got my XDA for £132) and I can sort you a GPS doodah and the software if you like...

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

keep getting lost when

GPS in a car is wonderful, but like others have said, don't blindly follow it, sometimes you have to go off route, because newer roads won't appear on the maps in the GPS package unless you update.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

cool! might have to look for an XDA then, how much for the GPS thingy and software?

Reply to
Vamp

keep getting lost when

Excellent. TomTom3 is a good bit of kit but you need to get the 3.03 update as it fixes some address lookup issues. It has the advantage of being able to use customisable POI. TT3 with the Digitools UK Postcode tool is unbeatable IMO.

You may want to consider the Haicom car mount as it can be quite hard to hear the audio prompts using the TT3 car kit as the PDA speakers are usually at the rear.

Also a fast SD/MMC/CF card helps too in speeding up route calculation.

Reply to
Conor

Well, I got my GPS thingy for £39 but you'll struggle to find one that cheap unless you know an importer. They're going for about £58 on Ebay I think

the one I've got. Then you'll need a holder of course, there's plenty on Ebay.

And I got the software from my favourite p2p shop...

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

and look in the downloads section.

Reply to
Conor

----- Original Message ----- "¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤".

I have downloaded the checkpoint speed cam database for mine, is there any way I can make it give me an audio warning rather than just a small point of interest icon on the screen?

Thanks

Chris

----- Original Message ----- "¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤".

I have downloaded the checkpoint speed cam database for mine, is there any way I can make it give me an audio warning rather than just a small point of interest icon on the screen?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Chris raved thus:

Yes, in the 'Overlay Settings' menu, highlight the item you want the audio warngin for e.g. Traffic cameras, tap 'properties' and it's obvious from there.

You can download various alerts e.g. mine says stuff like 'speed camera within 30 seconds' when approaching a camera. It will also remind you of the limit if you are over it, if you have the right sound files.

Reply to

i keep getting lost when

Could not agree better especially "You have reached your destination"

Reply to
Tight Guard Security

Showed a mate of mine it the other week. Went to a car dealership that had the "house" number on. Mate was gobsmacked when it said "You have reached your destination" exactly at the time we pulled up in front of it.

Reply to
Conor