Scary Experience in an Audi Dealership

Oh yes it it! :o)

Reply to
Pete

It's always blondes, isn't it.

I've never seen a redhead in a Porsche.

Reply to
Scott M

Blonds do nothing for me, but then I'm heterosexual. Blondes, on the other hand...

Pedant? Who? Me?

Reply to
Jamesy

Oh please..........

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Then the Ka is a fine choice for you. That doesn't however mean that other cars aren't better because you don't want them!!

Y'see how each time the car performs better than yours, you insist that it can't have been safe? How there's some *other* reason to discount it?

There is *never* excessive power!! ;-)

My car is slower than an M5 (most are!), and my girlfriends is much faster than a Cinq. Even so, whenever I drive hers, I feel slightly less safe when trying to get out of a junction or suchlike, than I can't accelerate away quite like I normally could, and that I may be forcing the person behind to brake slightly until I get up to speed.

Perhaps you wouldn't - but then you're not driving the TT. the other guy is. And his TT enables him to get out into gaps that you can't in your Ka, or wouldn't in his TT.

hahaha! Then imagine the same scenario on a road that *does* have lights!! Not all cars are judged on their performance on York's outer ring road - it's totally irrelevant to 99% of people!!

On York's outer ring road.. If you spend your life driving around York's ORR, then I'm sure your Ka is great for you. For the rest of us, there are *plenty* of places to use the extra acceleration that many cars have over your Ka.

Well that's tripe. I have *plenty* of opportunities to have fun in my car. Even if the car that was right behind me when I floor it eventually catches me up at the lights or in traffic, that's not a problem, I don't care, it's not a race - I'm just enjoying an aspect of my car that others do not have to the same degree.

You don't need a 30 mile Snake Pass style road to have a bit of fun. Fun can come in 10 second bursts, like flooring it up a motorway slip road etc..

Er.. it *is* a sports car - certainly far more than a Ka!

It is a faster car, because it has the potential to go faster. It doesn't need to be proving it at the time, for it to still be the case.

Because "never", is not the case.

LOL!!!

Is this the StreetKa that does 0-62 in 12.1 seconds?!!!

Yeah, I can just imagine all those TT owners drooling over *that* performance!!!

But it *is* amusing that in styling terms at least, it's a TT wannabe/copy/derivative.

!!

And they've sold shedloads. Doesn't seem that confused to me!

Don't get me wrong here, but the tone of what you're saying above (especially the bonus bit), makes you sound really bitter about this - as if you hate TT owners because they're flashing more money than you have?

Well there's a description full of contradictions!!

How do you rationalise it being "dull", with "unpredictable"? "Subdued", with "nervous"?!! And in the same sentence you claim it's too quiet, then claim it to be a bad motorway cruiser!!

And I'm astounded that you try and slag it off for being 'only' four cylinders, when most of the cars you list below (and including the WRX and Evo), are four cylinders. Oh and you forget to mention the turbo entirely!!

Then you slag it off for not being a good motorway cruiser, yet go on to list the MX-5, the S2000 and even the Elise as alternatives!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but given your Ka's just-over-100 top speed, I suspect cruising at 70/80mph isn't quite as much fun in yours as in a 140mph TT (and that's just the 180ps version), doing about 3500rpm in 6th gear. I know which I'd rather do the miles in.

Ha! And your Ka does that?

I know which would put the bigger smile on my face - and I suspect most other people's too!!

But many of the problems you level at the TT are apparent here. Would you want to do many motorway miles in an Elise, or the other 5-gear softtops you mention? Apart from the later Fiats, aren't they all four cylinders?

And you totally avoid mentioning the TT's Quattro system (apart from the 150 of course), which improves the ability in all sorts of conditions where the others would be left floundering. Perhaps this is why you feel it is lifeless or not entertaining, because you don't get so much under or over steer - it just goes where you point it. Maybe you just need to get used to, and know how to push, a 4wd car.

I'm really astounded you're trying to argue a case for Ka vs TT, I really am!

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Indeed, but that was the scenario I was imagining. There may well be other opportunities where the TT could outstrip the Ka to get into a gap infront of it. It's difficult to say because I'm not familiar with the road, but most ring roads with roundabouts that I'm familiar with allow for a certain degree of overtaking on the exit of the roundabout, where it is two lanes briefly, before merging back into one.

Well there are 4 TT engines to be had, 150, 180, 225 and 250ps. The

*slowest* TT is faster to 60 than the *fastest* Ka (assuming the SportKa is the fastest). Now then, Derv does not have a SportKa, and most TTs seem to be 225, or at least a 180. So the difference in performance would be considerable.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Yes ;-)

I only ever had dealing with their service departments - that was more than enough. Thankfully I never owned the car. I did endure 3 years and 60,000 mile in it though...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

is that the dealers buying the cars, or the dealers selling them :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Not as astounded as I am that you're even bothering to respond to his inane twaddle.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Although a large amount of this thread I could neither corroborate nor understand (heh) this quote is absolutely true. (from my personal experience, at least)

I knew a guy who had one, got it in absence of a penis and an attractive ladyfriend. (basically the best single word to describe this guy would be "limp" .. eheh...) Company director, got his job by sticking his nose in the right people's asses, not skill. Uh huh ... you get the idea.

On the other hand, I knew a guy who had a Fiat Coupe. Now that guy could drive. Had motorbikes and suchlike, lived for the buzz. Took me and a few others from work out in it ... very, very fun. Not the best looking, or practical motor on the planet, but what the hell. Buy a Ka with what you save on a TT ... eheh ...

I know which one I'd have. Not saying that the TT is a *bad* car, or that what I'm saying applies across the board, but generally speaking, it *is* a posermobile. People who enjoy driving seem not to entertain it. Guess it depends on where your priorities lie.

Also had an Audi A3, pool car at work, brand new. Now that was a terrible car. Used to leak in when raining hard. Might as well get a Vauxhall Viva - you don't need finance for those, and you get pissed on all the same. Suffice it to say I wouldn't touch any of that german s**te with a bargepole.

But then if I ever had the kind of money required for a TT, there'd definately be a Jag XKR sat outside my house. Call it personal preference ;)

Reply to
Dan

Which is what I referred to as a "reduced safety margin" ...

I didn't contend that the TT wasn't faster - merely that a 6 and a half second 0-60 (for the fastest) is not tremendously quick, given the image it attempts to project.

A Prodrive Impreza is sub 5seconds, my bike is 3 and a bit s (and it isn't a quick bike). Even *my* family saloon is sub 8s (if I want a new clutch every other week).

However, having just googled and found that even the StreetKa can only manage a *12s* 0-60, I take back the comment about the performance differential! I didn't realise how slow the Ka was! Is it really that bad?

Reply to
pete boyall

No, primarily because 0 - 60 times are not desperately relevant. The Sportka takes 9.7 seconds to hit 60, but isn't all that much lighter. Why? Gearing, in the main.

The TT isn't excessively powered, the margin of acceleration isn't enough to make a significant difference in the number of safe overtaking manoeuvres.

Reply to
DervMan

I don't think it is - I think the new 7 is a nice looking bit of kit. It's all down to personal preference though.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Especially when considering that my FWD, grandad-saloon can do it in 7 seconds !

Reply to
Nom

Whatever the reason for the disparity between the two Ka's, they're still both slower than the *slowest* TT (and most TTs are faster than the 150), and *your* Ka is even slower still!!

Given most opportunities, the TT (*any* TT), would be able to overtake your Ka with ease, however much you put your foot down. Sure you'll be able to imagine yourself a situation or a road where the traffic would be too heavy, but in general there will always be a situation.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

I find this odd, and the same "it's not that fast", comments have been levelled at the TT before. 6.5 secs seems pretty good, no? Compared to:

Mazda MX.5 1.8 - 8.4 secs MGF TF - 6.9 secs Toyota MR2 - 7.6 secs Honda S2000 - 5.5 secs Porsche Boxster - 6.5 secs

Given that bunch, it seems to sit in there quite happily, no? I'd understand you saying it was a bit slow if it were doing 8.5/9 seconds, but 6.5 is pretty good no?

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Agreed.

Bollocks. "everything else" is cars with a reasonable amount of power. The TT225, or my TI, for example. Anything with less than ~150bhp and less than a ~1.8 NA engine, is underpowered.

Reply to
Nom

Oh definitely, "looks" is the most subjective thing about any car. Only way to explain the popularity of huge plastic bodykits..... :o)

Reply to
Pete

I'd agree in general but to be fair, it depends what sort/size of car you're talking about. Kit jobs with bike engines in can be scary fast!

Reply to
Pete

Its obviously no where near as good looking, or as fast as a Ka though. Oh, and the Ka has awesome handling...

Reply to
Andy R