Scary Experience in an Audi Dealership

in

But what I'm putting across is that the difference in performance isn't all that great for real world driving, i.e. not racing.

manoeuvres.

That's most of the time, though. Yes, you're right, in an ideal situation or with an aggressive enough driver, Mr. TT will always be able to overtake Mr. Ka - however we're not comparing like for like. I've no issue with the TT being potentially quicker than the Ka and if outright straight line performance were a priority, we'd have something else.

What I'm referring to are those situations where the traffic is heavy enough so that only the foolish overtake, i.e. any overtake would alarm oncoming traffic. Think of most single carriageway trunk roads, or the route into and out of Norwich, or for that matter many roads in Lincolnshire. I've commuted over a lot of these types of route, and came to the decision that it wasn't significantly any quicker doing it in my Cinquecento, that Saab

9000 2.3t I borrowed, various other Fords, a V6 Cavalier, the Mondeo TD I went for, this Ka, heh. Why? Primarily because when a safe overtaking opportunity presented itself, vehicle performance wasn't a big issue.

Yes, it's true, of the above the Saab had the best overtaking punch, but visibility was the biggest issue and not acceleration.

Reply to
DervMan

Only the Honda on that list is actually quick (assuming the figures are correct).

Remember that my grandad-saloon can do it in 7 seconds !

Reply to
Nom

Yeah, I was discounting "wierdy" things. Cars like the Elise are very quick, and the've only got weedy engines.

Reply to
Nom

those TF things are pretty bloody rapid, 0-60 doesnt mean that much, Ive not raced nany myself but ive been a passenger whilst racing them,

Reply to
Theo

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

Reply to
Nom

Only one is faster than a 1970's hot hatch!

Reply to
Martin Imber

Lotus Sunbeam? Chevette HSR? I'm pretty sure the obvious one (Mk1 Golf GTi) isn't capable of a sub-6.5 0-60!

Reply to
Jamesy

I like them myself. There's one around here which has unfortunately fallen into the hands of a local boy racer :/ Goes like stink tho.

I'm more amused by the contract sentence. No matter how many times I see the phrase "a bid is a legally binding contract" it still amuses me. I wonder if the people who post that kind of thing actually believe it themselves :)

Reply to
Lordy

Lordy waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

IIRC they were the loudest standard production car ever made. Which says something. Mate of mine rallied one for years and we had a f'kin nightmare getting it through scrutineering. Even with the standard pipe it was about

115db. Ended up cutting open the backbox and stuffing the fookin thing with loft insulation. Passed scrutineering, then normally spat big hairy balls of burning insulation all over the show.
Reply to
Pete M

some could do under 6.5 0-60

My 1600 tuned Sunbeam would do under 8 second 0-60

Reply to
Martin Imber

A /standard/ 1600 Sunbeam was pretty quick for what it was.

Actually, I was passenger in one when the f****it driver (not really a friend as such, just a guy that I got a lift to work with at the time) rolled it. It stood up to it much better than you'd think. Thankfully :-)

Reply to
Jamesy

Yep, but most are driven by women who can't drive fast for toffee....... ;-)

Reply to
Rob Humberstone