scoob cracks 200mph!

k'ing hell!

not bad for something that's almost as aero dynamic as an old 80's volvo!

Reply to
Vamp

Nice - having been in a small german estate car at 180mph (GPS speedo) I can't begin to imagine what a japanese tin-box would be like at those speeds...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Being in my medium German saloon (accelerating) at ~170mph is much like it is at ~70mph - no need to turn up the stereo or shout to speak to passengers - only the scenery's behaviour changes.

What happens between 170 and 180?

Alistair J Murray

The old V8 M5 started growling at around 150, but was otherwise just as quiet as at 70.

With the speedometer somewhere over 180 wind noise appreciably increased.

:-/

Reply to
DervMan

The fuel guage heads south at a slightly higher rate - you kind of lose all vivsibl sensation of speed increase by 140. Car was set up for 200 mph and the plan was to hit the red button (150shot nitrous kit) when the accelleration gave up, it was still pulling at 180 but we were running out of "test track".

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Gotta be a proper 2 door one. How long before we see someone start claiming that all the 4 door family saloons could do the same.

OK why's he got the adjustable strut tops fitted to set caster more than camber? Does he need more caster for high speed stablity?

No roll cage!!

Reply to
Peter Hill
[...]

It was around 150 that my passenger commented "Your car sounds happy", and it did, it was *purring*. :)

A delimited one?

I only have a 155mph/250kph speedo so have to go by the tacho at higher speeds. Peak power is @5700rpm, top speed is "not less than 172mph", I've not got much over 5600rpm in top though... :(

Alistair J Murray

The B10 seems to do ~17mpg at 145-155 cruise - not bad.

Somewhere around 140mph you stop going fast but the horizon gets closer.

=8)

Cruising at ~140-150 is no problem on a quietish A-bahn but getting enough space to go properly fast is tricky. I had to abort a Vmax run at ~168 due to a Polo pulling out to pass a truck, right on the horizon...

Alistair J Murray

No, but using the common "hack," i.e. use fifth to break 155.

Reply to
DervMan

I guess Subaru owners can say they are as quick as a Corolla now then.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Trip computer at end of our journey read 11mpg average - spent a lot of time at WOT.

I can relate to that!

Ahhh - you were using the German autobahns, try using other countries less busy ones, at night.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh, me and Dervy had this discussion about a certain stretch near me the other day :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Not the emm one eighty perchance?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Maybe ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Does this sensation really occur!

I've never been past the 135mph top speed of my saab 900 turbo

Reply to
Ken
[...]

Yup. Passenger experienced it too, so there is a real phenomenon happening.

You need a proper car. ;)

Alistair J Murray
[...]

Is 6th an overdrive? Mine, with a 5-speed auto, is geared to rev to max power in top, 4th runs out around 140.

With an extra 60bhp the M5 should, if delimited, do 180+ without too much problem.

Alistair J Murray

Thanks ;-)

Reply to
Ken