Second car

YES.

The vehicle in question is NOT insured. Hence, you cannot leave it on the road. It is ONLY insured whilst you are driving it.

The car will have to be registered to someone else anyway - so this person would have to insure the car, for your "scam" to work.

Reply to
Nom

No you're not.

In practice, for this to work on a second vehicle, it needs to be owned by, and insured by, someone else.

If something happens whilst you aren't in the car, it's not insured. In which case, you're SCREWED.

Reply to
Nom

Road Risks/Third Party extension simply doesn't cover you to drive any car third party, no matter how much you claim it isn't yours. Otherwise we'd all be buying Minis and driving Group 20 supercars on the policy.

I'm betting that the Norwich Union callcentre is the same famous one in India where they can't even get the model of car right...

However, I reckon we should let Grant try it, then see how much he enjoys his six points.

Trust me, Grant. I /know/ about this. With a Norwich Union policy, too. And I /didn't/ own the car in question. I might not have received a fine, but those six points were a nuisance - and I wasn't doing anything to attract the attention of the police, just a random check by a different force - the local police had seen me driving everything from a Dyane to a Mercedes SL600 before I was 21.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Point I forgot, and no-one else has mentioned. As I understand it, Road Risks (minimum legal requirement) cover does NOT cover passengers. So if you had an accident with other people in the car, they could sue you and your insurance wouldn't cover it.

Richard (you want to spend £1000, why not spend £150 on the car, like an old K-reg Hyundai Pony or something, and the rest on real insurance).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

There is a perfectly legal way to do this, however.

If I was to "buy" a car or be given it as a gift by someone who then paid my (inexpensive) insurance on that car, *then* I would be unperturbed for that person to drive "my" car covered, as they would be, on their extended cover on their own car.

Of course, if someone broke into "my" car, I'd be disinclined to claim on "my" insurance as that would result in having to say "yes" on future renewals to the question about "made a claim in the last three years". A question which is independent of the relevance of no claims bonus. Which means if someone bashes in the window, the person who has "borrowed" my car is on their own when it comes to replacing the window or trying to get back their lost phone, etc.

AFAIK this would also require me to have someone else show me they have taxed the car, well, realistically I get them to give me the money so I can tax it on their behalf. There's also the question of whether the insurance company was ok about the arrangements, since I'd not be the main user of the car, but I don't see that as being a problem - it's not a legal requirement of course and is down to the insurers (i.e. price, which likely results in shopping around.)

Course, what with speeding tickets by post and parking fines and the like, I'd probably not do this for just anyone, but the idea is ok and I'd probably be quite willing to cut some sort of deal if I was their mother or father and had paid for a nicer main car and agreed that the digs et al were a grotty place to park something worth nicking.

Apparently on date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:20:42 -0000, "Nom"

Reply to
antispam

My Nephews H reg Pug 205 1.1 has been broken in to 3 times in 6 months

- Watford and St-Albans college. They get in, look around, find nothing, bugger off. Just bugger the locks and one time a window.

Bloke I work with doesn't lock his car when at home in the Wiral. Nothing in it, anyone can have a look for free - big yellow thing is cheaper than a broken window and stops it wandering off. VW GTi (G reg bit boxy don't know if MKI or II) has a big dent in door.

Just make sure the car is visibly empty - leave glove box and other storage holes open.

Peter Hill

So you got done for having no insurance whilst driving someone elses car, thinking you were covered under your own policy, and got six points, or am I getting this wrong?

Ages ago a mate of mine was driving his girlfriend's Nova (out of tax and MOT, not insured in its own right) from one side of town to the other (he wasn't regularly driving it around, just moving it from A to B) and got pulled over and given a producer. He got a minimal fine for the tax issue (around £100 + back tax), no questions asked regarding the insurance as he had the third party extension on his insurance, and got taken to court over the lack of MOT and walked away with a £25 fine + £35 costs.

Though if he'd crashed the thing it could well have been a different issue.........

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I got done because I had an NU comprehensive any driver policy which in the booklet, stated I had this cover, but I actually didn't. Even then, my broker said I did.

I pleaded guilty and explained the circumstances. Next bit of advice, btw - always speak to a solicitor. I wouldn't have had any points had I gone through legal representation, because I made the mistake of guilty of the offence and intent being irrelevant.

The situation was made worse since the owner of the car (which I was considering buying) claimed he had motor trader's insurance, which was a lie. The car was uninsured. Always ask to see proof if someone lends you a car in these circumstances.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Yes, the definition of 'belonging to' as used by insurance companys. It's got bugger all to do with V5s and everything to do with the main driver. And yes insurance companys will go round and speak to your neighbours to see who's using the car the most.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

What did you actually get the 6-points for then, because you clearly were insured ?!

Reply to
Nom

I thought the 3rd part cover on any other car required that car to be insured by another person (the owner) as the main driver....

Reply to
Theo

No, I wasn't! My policy was a company one, and whilst I was the main driver of the car, owner of the car (insured) etc, I wasn't the policy holder. Technically no-one was the policy holder, since it was in a company name. I was the person who took out the insurance, etc, but our limited company was the policyholder.

However, I wouldn't have got the six points if I'd gone in and pleaded not guilty. I'm too bloody honest for my own good. "Are you guilty of this offence" "Yes."

Well, I was. My own fault for not being more thorough.

*shrugs* No fine, no real additional cost on my insurance, and the points are gone. Nothing too serious, in the end. Far, far less scary than the six months I spent waiting to lose my licence after being done for >100mph on the M4 ;)

(No, I didn't lose it. I didn't get done in the end).

I'm sure Grant's insurance does have third party extension. It may even have road-risks cover for cars owned by the policy holder, CIS (Co-op) definitely used to do this; it's why I'm aware of the lack of cover for passengers, since the rep ran me through it all when I said "Great, I can buy a Ferrari and drive it on this policy (for a Fiesta 1.1 Pop)". Essentially I /could/, but I wouldn't be covered for damage to my car, people inside my car, etc. All that would happen is that I couldn't be prosecuted for lack of insurance. Shame I didn't have that policy when I was, of course, but then again I think that particular loophole has been closed.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Ah, I see :)

Reply to
Nom

Technically, no.

In practice, yes.

Read the rest of the thread :)

Reply to
Nom

yer i didnt update the group for a while :)

Reply to
Theo

I did that once. Got pulled over there and then, got congratulated by the traffic cops for travelling at such a speed, and then got rewarded with a well-earned 3-month break from driving, and lighter pockets.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've posted about this before. 125mph when passing a couple of trucks (indicated, Fiat Marea 1.6SX - quick little estates), after someone pulled out and slowed me from 85 to 60 at the same point without signalling. Got done for average of 104.7 over 1/4 mile (that would be the 1/4 mile where I went "Oh, bugger"), and then Kelso police did their very best to slow down the process. Eventually the S. Wales police let it go.

Always be nice to your local force, and always ask to present documents at home :D

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

It's that nice community feel that makes you go all warm and fuzzy :-)

(and one driving license better off!)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Whereas I got stopped at 102mph on the M180 in the middle of the night, about, ooh, 5 years ago now, and the copper simply showed me the video (of me) in his car, and said words to the effect of "We don't mind a bit of speed, but keep it down. On your way then".

:)

Reply to
Nom

Some policemen care more about safety than speed, the two aren't quite the same thing and 102 on a deserted motorway is safer than 80 into the back of a traffic jam. But you're fairly lucky to get let off over a ton. Can't but think they'd made their quota for that month and didn't want the paperwork.

Reply to
antispam