Shite old Ford vans

OK, I don't usually cross-post, but I really want to find the answer to this one.

Back in the '80s Ford produced a van that was bigger than a Transit. Don't think it was ever supplied as anything but a chassis cab, but I remember, several years ago, driving a Luton bodied version.

Does anyone have *any* idea what I'm wibbling on about?

Cheers

Reply to
SteveH

The A series? With the dreaded york lump in it probably.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

that would be the A series with the escort mexico style wheel arch flares a habit of refusing to restart when warm and vibration problems that would keep a pornstar smiling for months Derek

Reply to
Derek

That's the one.

Fuck, they're rare. Hard to find a pic on Google.

Reply to
SteveH

No, definitely not a Cargo. I can't drive a Cargo on my license.

It was an A-series.

Reply to
SteveH

Are you sure you're not referring to the Ford Cargo (which wasn't a van)?

Reply to
deadmail

You can't drive a Cargo? But they're available as a 3.5, I thought, and definitely a 7.5. I can drive a 7.5 no problem...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Yup, also called a variation on "Transit" AFAIK, '70s - mid '80s...

I remember them as the basis for security trucks and also as 7.5t panel vans Merc 608 stylee...

Vaguely 'merkin perhaps?

Fitted between the tranny and D??? 7.5t+ trucks.

Yup, no useful details tho'...

Alistair J Murray

Thought all Cargos were 7.5 which I definitely can't drive on my 4 wheel license.

Remember, I'm a rufty-tufty biker type, didn't get my car license until relatively late.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm sure I've seen Ford-Iveco cargos that were similar to the Renault Master T35. Usually have a little green leaf on them, and quite often have Luton bodies.

Regardless, I know the A-series you refer to - I have a Matchbox model of one with some sort of rental firm on the side, Avis or something, and another as a tractor unit.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Is that an add a "h" joke?

Reply to
Depresion

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) saying something like:

As others have said, that was the A-series. 4L four pot diesel, and there was a six pot available, afair.

Haven't seen one around for years now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

More to the point, why would you want to!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Grimly Curmudgeon ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Wasn't there a D-series too?

Ah, yes.

Adrian

I'd forgotten about them, a rental company I worked for had a fleet of em, all fitted with ether start aid gadgets, pump things on the dash. Horrible to drive.

-- R

After 97 then

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

To clarify. The Transit went up to 3.5t, and still does.

The A series started at 3.5t and went up to something like 6.2t. The modern equivalent is the Iveco Daily.

The D series started at 4.8 tonnes, although 7.5 was the most popular size, and went up to at least 28t artic unit size, I'm not sure about the max it reached. The D series was replaced by the Cargo, which occupied the same size/weight niche.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Right on the money Steve at the same time as the D series tractor

Ford were also selling theTranscontinental tractor
which wasvastly superior to the D series units I never actually saw a D series sub7.5 truck but drove many of the 7.5s (my first new truck was a T reg flat Dseries) we started getting the cargos 2 years later. I finally found an Aseries breakdown truck with extended cab
Derek

Reply to
Derek

I used to own one of these heaps of junk, they were awful, Terrible starting problems, used to park it at the top of a big hill and bump it at 30mph. still only just started. Used to use gallons of easy start!

Totally rediculous vehicle, 3½ ton GVW but over 2¾ empty, giving a ¾ton payload. I got done for serious overloading I tipped the scales at over 6 ton that was 2½ tons over!

I probably will have some photos somewhere, so if you really really want one, and have a funny enough explination for wanting one, then I will dig one out scan it and stick it up on the web!

Reply to
stuart

Did they have a 3.0V6 I'm sure I drove one with a V6

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©