Big Old RWD Barges

Seeimg as all the young dudes seem dead set on buying old rwd motors, I would like to confess to the following examples of the genre.

You bought one of these if you wanted something like a Capri 2.8i but wanted rear suspension as well. Mine was NHS 222V - why did I ever sell it... This was around 1988

Also one of these too.

If an SD1 is cool, a P6 must be sub zero. This would have been about 1985

One of these

Mine was a 3.0si This was the best of the lot arguably. Mechanically identical to a 3.0 CSI, but much cheaper. It had 200bhp in 1973 when it was built. Went like the wind. This was 1991

And finally one of these.

An E28 in this colour. Unfortunately, mine was a 520i. Still a great car though. This was 1994.

I guess every one of them would be considered a classic nowadays - even the E28.

What about all the other old buggers - you know who you are.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

P5B Coupe is where it's at... *want*

Reply to
JackH

Had one, BBU 88T. (also had a 2.8i Capri, who needs suspension)

Mine was a brown one, JUE 183N I think the reg was.

Always wanted one. My dad had the 2500 for about a year, and a 3.3Li for a while.

A998 WKW was my first E28. 528iSE in silver..

I miss my old SD1 Vitesse, my Granada Coupé, and the Cortina Mk4 'S' we transplanted a 2.8i Capri engine and box into - that was brilliant.

Reply to
Pete M

I had a mk2 Escort

Reply to
Abo

Oops, missed off HEF946V (IIR), a 1980 model and 'this was 1989' ;)

Reply to
Abo

Good choice of cars my man.

I've recently considered a Monza, but unfortunately couldn't go and pick it up early enough so it was sold to someone else.

Both me and the missus what an E28 too, prefarbly in white.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

At some point in the nearish future I'll either have a Vitesse or SE for sale.... ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Don't do this to me,Carl.

Reply to
Pete M

Play your cards right and one of these lovely Rovers could be yours....

:D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I like that one lots - it looks well cool :-)

Reply to
DanB

I had a HA Viva, ex BT van for carting mobile disco equipment around in on L plates with my kid brother sitting in with me, in the 80's. Then when I finally got round to passing my test in 2001 I had an Estelle 120L

Then just recently I had the ultimate large barge, the Lexus/Toyota Celsior.

Reply to
Elder

you was learning in the 80's and didn't pass till 2001? WTF? surely you didn't take all that time to pass? i got my licence a year before you in

2000 which just sounds weird when i think bout it.
Reply to
Vamp

My 2 year younger brother passed at 17 and it was before you needed to have a license 3 years. The van was his first car. He moved on but we still did the disco stuff, so I took it over on L plates, had no lessons, but was fully insured.

Later, couldn't afford to drive, so cycled everywhere. Later I went to Uni in Luton so the college was walking distance, then I went to work in London, so it meant cycle/train/tube. No need for a car.

Wasn't until I moved back up north and had to face crap trains that I needed to learn properly. I've always loved cars but never had the money or need for one until I moved into the grim north. Passed with 3 months of lessons, first time with 4 minors aged 31.

Reply to
Elder

ah i see! my dad didn't learn to drive till he was in his early 20's because he lived in london and din't really need to. only learnt because he wanted to venture out of london.

Reply to
Vamp

My wife's cousin is similar; he learned when he was 17 and got a car, then moved to London. The car just sat outside the house and was only used when he came back home for Christmas so he flogged it to save paying the tax/insurance on something he wasn't using.

Reply to
Abo

[Snip examples]

Pah! Thems nowt, thems aint!

1978 Chevrolet Impala Station Wagon, in various colours, 350 V8. First car I ever bought.

Now *that's* a proper RWD barge!

It was followed by a 1989 Vauxhall Senator 2.5 upon returning to this dismal isle. I quite liked that car, but that money thing happened when uni started.

Reply to
conkersack

Monza 3.0E 1375 kg, 178bhp

0-100Km/h 8.5sec, top speed 133mph.

Ford Capri 2.8i, 1230Kg, 160bhp

0-60mph 8.2sec, top speed 126mph

Zakspeed Turbo 2.8 Capri, 1257kg, 188bhp

0-100Km/h 8sec, top speed 135mph

1971 3500S V8, 1295kg, 150bhp Zzzzzz 0-60mph 9sec, top speed 125mph, are we there yet?
1974 BMW 3.0 Si E3, 1433Kg, 200bhp 0-60mph 7.9sec, 0-100Km/h 8.5sec, top speed 133mph

There's a reason it was cheap, the 3.0 CSi coupe was drop dead gorgeous and had adaquate performance. Anyone that considers Family saloons as objects of desire is very sick.

1973 3.0 CSi E9, 1270Kg, 203bhp 0-100Km/h 7.5sec, top speed 138.

You seem to have selected a right bag of LOSERS. FTW 2+2 tubo coupe 1190Kg, 170bhp

0-60mph 6.9sec, top speed 140mph. Quicker, faster but for some reason no one wants them, so a lot less dosh.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Has anyone ever dropped the Carlton GSI 24v lump in a Monza? I guess they probably have - would be a cool conversion. Or, thinking about it, and a metric fuckload better - the Lotus Carlton engine. That would be mental. There must be a smashed up LC somewhere as a good donor.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Gee thanks for that Pete. I never said that my list of previous old motors where all of the cars that everyone should ever buy - just what I had owned myself.

Incidentally - why is a standard 1973 BMW with 200bhp a bad thing whilst a modified Ford with 188bhp is supposedly a good thing ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Err, not quite. I had mine on a weighbridge and it was 1160kg.

0-60 is supposed to be 7.2s.
Reply to
Conor