SHOCK! on topic post! tyres!

ok BM needs new rears. to be honest they was pretty low on tread when i got it and i'm surpised there still legal! anyway traction is starting to be a prob (as fun as it is) i'll probably change them some time in jan. probably get a bit more out of them but the slow punture it's had for months and the tail action on roundabouts is getting to me (tail out when half asleep aint funny hehe)

so BMW 328 heavy old git of a car. i don't do pikey so no naknangs or tyres that sound like chinese take away items please (i aint steve pikey h so no 'part warns' or 'remoulds') on the rear of the beast at the mo at michi's but f*ck knows which ones. wear seems good on the michi's and grip is not bad in the wet and good in the dry (i've had better)

with the previous motors (the 2 MR2's) i've used and stuck with toyo's but the BM is a bit heavier and i'm not sure what toyo's wear like on a heavy motor.

right to my point. all them peeps with lardy motors whats your weapons of choice when it comes to tyres? size i need is 225/45/17

Reply to
Vamp

You'll never hear me saying 'part worn' and you'll rarely hear me say 'remould'...... the only remoulds I'll touch are Colways which are super-sticky and short-lived, but great on track / hobby cars.

I'll default to Pirelli P6000 or Goodyear Eagle Venturer. Assuming they're available in your size.

Reply to
SteveH

Depends on how much you want to spend? Mytyres.co.uk have a selection of over 200 different tyres in that size and most of them have links to reviews, prices from around £40 to £160 each.

Reply to
Homer

Stunner Scudo Ok so they are the pikey brand but they are Michelin's pikey brand and they come out of Michelin made moulds with Michelin rubber I'm replacing the stock Michelin on the FR with them under the recommendation of a good friend who runs them on his 400bhp Stagea. I'll let you all know how they feel when I actually get them on.

Reply to
Depresion

Michelin Pilot. Probably cost around £90 a corner but have excellent grip and IME last twice as long as 60 quid tyres.

Reply to
Grant

Toyos will work but expect 6000 miles.

Conti sport contact 2 if it comes in that size. And put them on the back..

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've got P6000s on my 323i Sport Touring. Very difficult to unstick and predicatable when it does. Reasonable mileage too. What more do you need? JB

Reply to
JB

I've got P6000s as well, although on a small FWD car with half the torque and power of Vamp's heh. Still, they're pretty darn good.

Reply to
Iridium

If you know anyone with a Costco card, they do Michelin tyres at a good price for Michelins.

or I've often heard mention of Micheldever tyres. But their website seems to have disappeared. I have found

they seem like worthy of a visit. They are certainly popular.

Reply to
Elder

Rubbish, cheap tyres generally last twice as long as any branded ones=20 because they are normally made of less sticky rubber :)

Pilots aren't renowned for being anything special btw, and if I was=20 spending =A390 on a corner it would be at the bottom of my list (certainly= =20 below the cheap brands).

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

No. They've lasted well, but, how many miles do you do a year?

Meh. Cue some comments back about that one.

Yes, that would be Michelin. Their tyres are also often quiet, how much you notice will depend on how you drive and what else is noisy. My Saab spends most of its time cruising on the motorway and very little time doing anything else so I opted for quiet, long-lived Michelins.

Just a little quicker than on a lightweight machine? I had a long look at Toyo Proxy CF1s (I believe) 'cos they are well liked across the board aside one weakness, wear. I really want tyres to last a year, so that's 25,000 miles. Some people were giving CF1s five stars 'cos they lasted for 8,000 miles...

First off I'd have a look at the original equipment. Probably Michelin Pilot something-or-other, or ContiSport something-or-other. These I guess are the basic choice. I've had good experiences of mid-market Falkens relative to other brands, they're not super grippy material (better than the equivalent size Contis) but they're not snappy when you overstep the line and wear pretty well too. As a fleet we used Michelins by default because they last well, but if your annual mileage is low, go for the Toyo...

Reply to
DervMan