Mud terrains on road

How much of a pain in the arse are mud terrains on tarmac noise wise, also will they wear out unduly?

and the golden question not often asked here (ha-ha!) how big can I go on my ES alloy rims with a + 2" lift ?

I'm looking at BFG AT's

Reply to
StaffBull

StaffBull composed the following;:

Dunno, not run MT's on road much, we normally only put them on when we're going off seriously.

I run 31 105 R 15's on a stock Disco with no mods to steering or anything else, and they're fine. They _just_ catch the rear off-side valance, but when I get a tuit I'll space it out a half inch to clear. A lift won't make much difference to this, I don't think, though I could be wrong.

I'm also still looking for some more cheap BFG AT's .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You can't hear the noise of MT's over a Series.... I have found.

Actually, they tend to hum a bit, can be annoying on a long motorway run, and they do wear out quicker. Handling compromised, especially at the rear in the wet.

Probaby a better bet to go for AT's if you're going to do most miles on the road.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

You can certainly hear them, loudest probably around the 30-40MPH mark although this is mostly due to everything else not making much noise at that speed. In my 110 commercial with canvas top, tyre noise doesn't stand out much above everything else.

As for safety, hard to tell without doing direct comparisons but I drive quite briskly and lean the truck quite a bit going round some roundabouts, they've never stepped out despite no weight on the rears.

Wear is worse than my old BFG Trak-edges, but I've done 6,000 on mine and they look like they've got at least that in them again.

The upside is that off-roading on green lanes I've never even been close to getting stuck on the same lanes and similar conditions on places where the BFG Trac-edges stopped me. With the AT tyres I've been stuck on flat ground covered in a thin layer of thick-ish mud, but with the MTs I've not even felt the wheels slip. Pulling other people out on Salisbury Plain was trivial too, the impression is that there's far more grip available now.

I got remoulds, thought I'd save some cash, they are Technic Trackers which are BFG MT copies based on BFG carcasses, I wouldn't buy them again. You need to tube them and the tyres aren't made for it, so in

1 month I had 5 tyre deflations on different tyres, despite lashings of chalk and careful fitting. Solved it in the end by pumping up to 40PSI and keeping speed down to 60 or less. Next time I'll go for the real thing.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I ran deestone crossplies until yesterday on my 110, they are fairly aggressive mud terrains.

lasted about a year / 6000 miles of 90% on-road use.the were a bit slippery in the wet and the road noise was, well,noisy. Now replaced with colway AT's, too easly to comment on them but they do seem quieter.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

We've got MT's on a 4WD Hilux at work - they are bloody noisy and annoy me no end. It's got to the stage that when I have to do a trip of more than a couple of hours I'll change them for the AT's before I go and swap them back afterwards.

Reply to
EMB

There's MTs and then there's MTs....

As for noise, tyres like the Greenway Macho or the BFG MT are well behaved and fairly quiet on the road. My Simex Centipedes OTOH make a hell of a noise at lower speeds that gradually evolves into a banshee like sound by the time you hit 80mph.

Tyre wear covers a similar spectrum but generally remoulds use a much softer rubber than "new" tyres so don't last as long and running any MT on the road will reduce their off road performance as the edges of the blocks become nicely rounded off.

I thought you were asking about mud terrains ????

If I were you I'd stick with road tyres on the alloys and get a set of MTs on steel rims with a decent offset (not Disco steel rims !) Using alloys off road damages them, you'd be amazed how quickly a decent set off alloys get scuffed/scratched up off road.

Tyre size is entirely dependant on how much body work you are prepared to cut away.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Blimey, are they round or square? If square, next time go for the round ones..

I'm amazed you go to the trouble of changing them, first time I've ever heard of someone being that annoyed by tyre noise.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't think you could have heard what some tyres sound like on tarmac... There are a couple of Landies that drive around here that make a hell of din from the tyres, so much it drowns out the engine noise and yes they are diesels...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dumper tyres would make a hell of a racket but I know what a landy on big muds sounds like, I'm on muds myself and have at least one friend on grizzly claws. My truck is a 110 commercial with no carpets, a bare metal loadbed and a canvas roof, I removed the stereo from the truck as I could never hear it much over the engine, wind noise, flapping of the canvas and all the other noises a naked landy makes. Adding MTs to the mix didn't make much of a difference, I can hear them for sure but it's certainly nowhere near the level required to make them bothersome for me. Some people are either a bit more picky than me or some other factor was at work, e.g. he had winter tyres with metal studs ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , Mr. Nice. writes

Done 57k on my BFG Mts and mostly on tarmac. Not much tread left on them now though.

Reply to
hugh