Should have done it ages ago.

Finally got sick of the whistling power caps on the bargain bucket Bush

28" widescreen TFT. Used to be just on start up for a couple of minutes, then it dragged a bit longer before fading, then eventually it started coming in and out during different programs.

Could have paid a bloke in a shed a couple of quid to have a go at changing the caps, but feeling a bit flush this month so bit the bullet and bought a TFT TV.

So, trawl arround the sites, look for reviews, and see if any of the bricks and mortar shops have same prices. Then ignore the Arianet/Vistron/Technika Pro super cheapies that only saved £20 but cost delivery.

Ended up with a 32" LG3000 with Freeview.

Was very nearly tempted by a recon LG LT75 with has a 160GB Freeview PVR but it was the same price as a new LG3000 and reviews said the sound wasn't as good as the Mark Levinson designed system in the 3000.

  • you get 3 HDMIs instead of two ready for when/if we change to a sky HD/Blu-ray player, And it has composite, component and VGA inputs so I can sling the laptop through it with a wireless keyboard/mouse if I'm on a day off and can't think of anything better to do.

32" TFT is bigger than 28" CRT, much bigger, hugely bigger. Kind of glad we didn't go with the 37". Our lounge isn't that big and I doubt watching the 37" wouldn't have been that much of a benefit.

The old one is going to be freecycled or given to any family member who wants to be bothered to get the caps replaced.

Now need to investigate the best VFM HD DVD/Blu-ray player and Sky HD upgrade, and a decent surround sound system, not mega watts, just nice clean sound.

I've done my bit boost the economy today, what have you done.

Reply to
Elder

Filled the Landrover with Diesel ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

We've just done exactly the same. Upgraded from a heap of crap JVC 28" CRT to a Samsung 32" TFT - the difference is immense. I think it has 2 HD inputs, VGA, component HD etc - certainly a lot of plugs on the back to use ;)

I'd been thinking about it for ages, but I got an Xbox 360 for my birthday and it just looked shit on the CFT (couldnt read alot of the on screen text), so the next day I went out and found this one in stock and bought it. Could have got it cheaper online but I wanted something that evening :)

I'm massively impressed with the Xbox too - obviously the graphics are now great but I can also stream movies from my PC upstairs which is very handy. And also my whole MP3 collection from the PC is now available downstairs, and the ipod even plugs in and works without any fiddling. I'm spending much more time on my lounge at the mo ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Taken SWMBO out for a meal. Refused to do it last night as it was rip off shitty Valentines menus everywhere.

Reply to
Conor

Bought one of those myself at Xmas.

A| 28" CRT only has 26.5" viewable.

Playstation 3. And no, I'm not kidding.

Had mine fitted last Wednesday. Well worth the money.

Richer Sounds do some good 5.1 systems with seperate amp. I run a Panasonic SA-HE7 which is a good few years old now. Only downside is I've run out of optical inputs on it.

Reply to
Conor

They are pretty good for the money even from the out of town retail sheds.

Yeah I know, had fun trying to explain it to the missus.

We are going to give them a call and see which upgrade they will give us.

We did look at Richer for the TV but decided to buy local. Richer was cheaper for the unit, but delivery made it more expensive.

Reply to
Elder

Don't blame you mate.

Reply to
Elder

kerching!

Mark Levinson.

You've bought into the branding and hype haven't you.

Lexus driver.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Bought a car :D

Getting a new wifi card tomorrow, it turnes out the old one was goosed. Though at £10 I guess it's not going to be propping up the local computer shop too much lol

Fair play on the telly purchase, I might be doing the same soon. When I switch the current one on the colours are all washed out, and it takes a little while for them to get to normal. It's been like that for a while but it's taking longer to sort itself out these days...

Reply to
Abo

Ooo, you old romantic you ;-p

Reply to
DanB

Was her suggestion. I'd already booked a table the week before.

Reply to
Conor

Is it full HD? Or just HD Ready? I couldn't beleive how impressive BluRays were next to normal upscaled DVDs when I made the switch. They're just awesome, anyone that can't see the difference is A) lying or B) blind. My TV now is a 42" Panasonic TH-42PZ80B, I researched it for ages and the general jist of the internet seems to be if you can, get a Pioneer, if you're not that rich, then get a Panasonic. Loads of people have commented on the quality of the picture, and especially compared to my old set (I'm almost afraid to say it, but that was a 42" LG LCD) even mum can tell the difference.

I'm not just a super money waster by the way, whilst I was really happy to upgrade to the Panny, I wouldn't have done it as quickly (well, I bet I would heh) had the LG lasted longer than 7 months before developing faults... LG customer service was unbelieveably poor, they just used a local contracted place to repair, they kept not listening to me when I explained the fault, which I even demonstrated twice to the engineers when they came to collect it, and maintained it was fine. This was us just saying we didn't want them talking it again, as it came back damaged twice, a deep gouge the stand and a long scratch on the front of the screens 'border' bit - caught the light perfectly.

That was it, they just stopped 'trying to help' and it was when I was right smack in the middle of being ill, so time at home wasn't too plentiful and we had more important things to do and think about. One thing I did need at home was a TV though heh, I was sick of it going for most of a a week and coming back having only gained some damage - which they were "giving us a call when the fault was sorted to get that sorted out. I gave it to my parents anyway. and it's fine for them as the fault was involved with coming out of Stand-By and AV-1 - they don't use either feature though, plug off at night, internal freeview.

I'm not trying to scare you by the way dude heh, I just got a bit of a rant on there didn't I... On the positive flipside of that though, my brother's had a 32" LG LCD for about 3 years now and it's fine, never a single boo boo. Also, a mate bought the same LG as me, and developed the same faults so I'm assuming that it was a fault with that model - it was an LG 42LC2D I think.

We moved my TV onto the wall, so I needed longer cables to run them out the way and hidden. I bought a cheapy 5m Scart for my PVR to replace 2m flashy, more expensive one my brother gave me. Wow. The picture difference was massive. The 5m one came out, the old one back in, and it really was night and day. I knew cables mattered but never knew it was that much heh. Anyway, it turned out the 2m wasn't that expensive at all, it was just a case of buying from the right place. £5 on Ebay = crap, £50 in Currys = £9 at CPC, so I ordered a 5m one from them, along with a few other bits, co-ax aerial cable, craft knife and blades, and some precision screwdrivers.

Does shopping at Play.com help our economy, or someone elses...?

Reply to
DanB

1080i.
Reply to
Conor

It's actually smaller in 4:3. I originally wanted a widescreen that gave pretty well the same size image in 4:3 as my old 28" - and couldn't fine one. So went for 45". ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was the second one in the shops that didn't say Beko/Logik/Matsui/ Arianet etc, and it came with an additional HDMI, 2 scarts, and a PC input, some only came with either 1 scart, or no PC input.

I studied the websites for the various makes, and reviews, and the older LT75 was canned for sounding crap from the internal speakers, so I binned the idea of getting a refurb one, even though it was the same price but included a 160GB freeview PVR.

Just nice to have someone who is supposed to know about sound doing something for your TV too.

Reply to
carl.robson

=A0 London SW

Nah this was a 16:9 28" CRT. Replaced with a 16:9 32" TFT Case only marginally bigger, screen massive in comparison.

Reply to
carl.robson

Yeah, 720p/1080i isn't it?

You don't need full 1080p unless you are sitting 2 miles away and at least on a 42" do you?

BTW. How the f*ck do you switch it off? Switching to standby no problem, but off, don't know. Manual mentions the mythical function exists, but the power button on the front and on the remote both only send to standby.

Reply to
carl.robson

I have the 42LT75, and the internal speakers sound like internal speakers - i.e. perfectly listenable, but small and mounted in brittle plastic. If you want even moderately decent sound, you'll be using external speakers on any TV.

That said, the LT75 series has some rather annoying glitches in the firmware, and I couldn't really recommend one until LG sort it out, although they don't seem to be in any great hurry to do that...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I've not used internal TV speakers for sound for years now.

Originally this was because we had a nicam video and mono TV. Then when we got a stereo TV there still wasn't any point, because a proper hifi set, even fairly cheap, sounds _so_ much better.

Reply to
Clive George

In one way I think you did the right thing by not buying a refurb, but really they whole bose (I hear no highs, I feel no lows, it sounds like crap it must be bose) / Bang and Olufsen (hifi for the deaf) / Mark Levinson thing just represents esoteric brands desperate for some brand awareness, aspirational purchasing and licensing money.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp