Should have done it ages ago.

Plasma power consumption varies according to content, whereas LCD is pretty constant, so the number you get on the rating plate is a maximum, but the average is 60-70% of that dependant on brightness, however an LCD is running at 80-90% of the rating all the time. There's very little between them.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Isn't CRT more efficient than both, though?

I'm waiting for affordable, large screen OLED before I change my CRT.

The OLED panel in my Air is lovely.

Reply to
SteveH

erm... what?

There isn't a laptop on the market with an OLED, the Air and other ultra-slims are LCD with LED backlights

OLED is a completely different thing, each pixel is an LED

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

*shrugs*

Whatever it is.

All I know is that big plasmas and LCDs hold no appeal at all.

Reply to
SteveH

Fixed your post for you.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, of course.

I forgot that you truckers earn seventy billion pounds an hour these days.....

Far more important things to spend money on than s**te TV sets.

Reply to
SteveH

Hahaha. Oh god, please don't start him on this again. I'm not sure my sides can take it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Like s**te rusting Alfas?

Reply to
Conor

Yebbut, but have no fear, Conors better half is here with a book full of quality sets available on weekly terms and no interest to pay!

Reply to
JackH

80s stereotype 101.

How about 'all truck drivers are thick as pigshite with personal hygiene issues'

That, according to you, is about as accurate as the bile you've been posting since you've been 'currently between jobs'.

Reply to
SteveH

I won't lie, I have no idea what most of that means :-)

Agreed on that though! I used to think LCD was the way forward, but I'm muchly happy with my plasma and seeing it, after my old LCD, definately is a win for the plasmas.

Good lord. Do people actually buy these things? When a mate of mine bought herself a 40" Toshiba plasma from Currys, on the recommendation of the staff, and her dad [1] she bought a £50 HDMi cable for her none-HD/BluRay/Upscaling cheapo DVD player. CPC do ones that are probably better for like, £9 :-)

[1] Really nice guy, not the sharpest tool in the box though. I've been to fix their 'computer' (heap of shit on Win98) a few times, and he's one of those that stands there offering their ideas. He installed some new sound stuff and it buggered the sound output and he offered that maybe the songs couldn't fit in the CPU and were bottlenecking... ( ? ). No idea, but he pays a man to fix it now, takes it away every time, does nothing, charges him £50+. The whole lot is worth about £0.02, including it's 15" CRT and the loudest hard drives I have heard for a long time - *CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK*
Reply to
DanB

You are right, of course - all these things are down to personal preference, but there is a technical side to it as well, and technically the CRT is still vastly better, particularly than LCD, in many respects. I reckon that the fashion, the practicality and the sudden availability of ridiculous sizes in flat-panel TVs has more to do with their popularity than anything to do with picture quality. Which is all fine, except that it has been TOO ubiquitous a change, and now we have lost CRT technology - we have taken a technological step backwards for the sake of fashion, and that seems like a shame to me.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

But that is simply a matter of development - late CRT monitors were getting a dot pitch of .17mm - plenty high enough, even taking into account bleeding between pixels, for high res digital sources. Dynamic processing can help enormously with convergence and accuracy. There was even some pretty impressive development with tessellated micro-screens to generate large, thin(ish) panels and overcome the 32" barrier.

Blergh. Modulated backlights are the devils work. It's like the 911 - making it work despite fundamental flaws in the design.

All the per-pixel intensity variation and burn-in of, er, plasma... Heh, actually I agree, but I need something that I can use as a PC monitor without worrying about the damage I might be doing.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Given that LCD etc TVs are so slim this tends to be an opinion rather than fact.

Right. So cost influences your views on style? Not quite the same thing.

I can now see the advantages of a heavy one then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is your front room like a 1 metre square or something?

Plus, in a room bigger than a small shoe box, if you try and watch it from the other side of the room you'd need binoculars. My 42" sits on the chimney breast with about a foot of space either side, an 8" gap to the mantel below. and a gap sized betweem the others, to the ceiling with a clock it in. It's as if it was made to measure heh.

Reply to
DanB

We did look if they were any HD CRTs available, but the only one I could find trace of was a Samsung that had gone out of production, but cost over a grand.

Then we looked for low to middle priced CRTs and you couldn't find anything reasonable quality in 28" for less than the price we paid for the LG LCD. We decided that we might as well go for the benefit of slightly larger screen and much lower weight/space.

Reply to
Elder

Hi Def CRT? Might be bad for budget though

Tim S Kemp

A lot of the terraced houses I frequent have a room maybe twelve by twelve feet. A five foot television is too big and yes in my opinion. Of course...

Size isn't style, either... What impressed me most about that model was the

100 Hz bit rather than the size. But 100 Hz wasn't available in the model we wanted at the size we wanted...

LOL!

Reply to
DervMan

LOL! Not quite. It's hardly big though. And I daresay, I don't watch much television.

Nah, it isn't that bad. From here, the far corner of the room under the stairs at the notebook, I'm, hmm, say 3.5 to 4 metres away. I can see it just grand from here!

I'd not want to race in GT4 or Forza Motorsport from this distance so I take your point!

Reply to
DervMan

Friend did a similar thing with computer monitors. He was/is a CAM programmer (designing the basic algorithms), so had a traditional CAD/CAM setup with posh 21" screen (when they were posh, not merely slightly bigger than normal :-) ). He went down to a 17" because he never used more than a small portion of the big one and it just dominated his vision too much.

I've just checked our telly - 28" widescreen. Wouldn't want anything much shorter - widescreens need height (the little ones just look silly), but it's on the verge of dominating the room too much, and that's 3.5m away from me on the sofa. Bloke I bought the BX from had one of those 42" projection Toshibas in a rather smaller living room than ours - fine for watching telly, I s'pose, but I wouldn't want it looming at me while I did other stuff.

Reply to
Clive George