should it be this much fun?

today while messing around in the yard i decided to take the 1996 mini cooper 1.3 sport for a quick ride round the yard. it's probably the most fun i've had since the MK1 MR2, ok i probably didn't even hit 30 but i could whiz round the yard and take the sharp turns without breaking. was well good fun!

i've never really driven an old shape mini just sat in them or been passenger but i can see the appeal, was loads of fun and it does make you get out with a big grin on your face!

i couldn't live with one though, the door was right up against my right leg and i did bang my elbow on the door a few times.

last week mind i was driving an old shape micra, these are so underated! they had a bit more room than the mini being quite a bit bigger, i'm talking bout the mid to late 90's micra when it was a small car. i would actually seriously consider one to replace the BMW but it just seems a bit wrong and i'd want air con which probably slows it down even more.

i do need another small car though, my dad's old AX and my MK1 MR2 were the most fun i've had and the mini and micra kinda brought that back, i'd just get so much stick going BMW to Micra at work though.

bit of a pointless post i know but no doubt you'll all talk me out of a micra, well hopefully!

Reply to
Vamp

Try a 106. Maybe not quite up there with a mini, but they handle like a go-kart. Nat's 1.6 XSi still does 40mpg too, which is nice.

We looked at Micras as well before the106, but although they seemed uber-cheap to run they were dull-o-rama. Nat used to have the one before (early 90s shape), and to be fair it just ran and ran and ran with very little work and very little servicing, but it was totally uninspriing.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

i find the pedals to close together in the 106, plus they never came with air con and i'd want air con :( a 306 XSI would be ok and not as gay as a micra i'm thinking

Reply to
Vamp

I cope alright and IIRC you're not much bigger than me. In fact I've had no problems at all with this one, although I seem to remember having issues in my housemates later series 2 106 when I was at uni. Maybe the pedal box was changed.

306 XSi is not quite as nimble as it's smaller sibling, but pretty competant. But economy will be worse as the old XU engines are pretty thirsty IME. A Dturbo would be a good bet for a sensible car - and they're plenty tweakable. Or just get a GTi6 - a car that I may buy for myself next year :)
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

my feet are size 9-10 depending on the type of shoe and the width tends to touch both the clutch and brake pedal which can make moving them around works yard interesting!

hmmm, i wouldn't want anything thirsty, i'm thinking garage the BM for a year and running around in something cheap and cheerful so i can clear off it's finance, i'm thinking maybe 500 quid banger with a years tax and test? then get something nice-ish for a couple of grand of carry on running bangers and do my bike test and get a nice bike!

Reply to
Vamp

So you either want something small and economical, or diesel powered. At that price I'd be looking in the PSA stable so you at least get something that's fun to drive whilst still being economical. So a 106 XSi, 205 XS/GT/GTX/DT, AX GT, 306 DT, ZX DT etc etc. Although I guess you're in a good position to see what cheap stuff is coming through the garage and potentially grabbing a bargain from their rather than proactively looking.

But if you're anything like me you'll find anything properly sensible (like a Micra) very boring very quickly. And will either hate it or will just end up selling it on.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

slow small cars can be fun, specially if they have a semblance handling. I really have got bored with the whole fast car thing....must be growing up.

Reply to
john

Yes they're epic aren't they. My Suzuki Swift (Mark1, very rare) was the nearest thing to an old style Mini I've ever driven. The handling was superb. I didn't have to brake for roundabouts. The engine was revvy and pulled really well. The GTi version must be awesome. Because they are so rare they don't have an image so if you are worried about that, good times ahead with a Swift. Much more spacious than a Mini too and acceptable for long-ish journeys.

Safe too, here's a pic of mine after someone smashed into me

fishman

I'm a size 10 and I wear chunky skate shoes, Vans/DCs etc and I can drive them - I guess you just have to get used to them like anything. I remember the first time I drove a 106, I had the same problem but I see to have got over them these days so I guess you just learn to sort it some how.

Reply to
DanB

Didn't realise you were into cross dressing :-P

Reply to
SteveH