Judging by opinions.......

Looks like the Golf VR6 is a no go. Just when I had gotten myself into the mindset for a normal sized car with a sensible sized engine ;)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

How about a MkIII Golf GTI 16v?

They're not half as bad as people make them out to be. Not the last word in performance, but go well enough, handle as well as you need as a daily driver and still have the right 'image'. A couple of grand will buy a nice one.

Reply to
SteveH

MK2 GTI are quite nice, i was tempted when i got my MK1 MR2 but insurance is mental for a young essex tosser like me :) or what about a BMW 325 E30? i kinda wish i got a tidy E30 a lil bit, love the old school shape now i seen a few clean ones at work.

Reply to
Vamp

Nope, they're twice as bad as people make them out to be. They really are

*s**te*.

Thing about the Mk3 GTi is it's underpowered, even the 16v one is a slug, the handling is better than a standard VR6, but that's not much to write home about either. In their defence though, they're good on juice and later ones are well made. 3dr ones tend to be either overpriced or thrashed to death.

Personally, I'd go for a nice Mk2 GTi 8v.

Reply to
Pete M

MK2's are OK, but starting to gather price. And they are getting on a bit now.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I couldn't decide between the TDi and the VR6 horses for corses and completly different cars I know.

Still, I might be able to run the TDi on chip fat. Make it even cheaper to run, less black smoke, and it will smell nice to follow.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

->I couldn't decide between the TDi and the VR6

->horses for corses and completly different cars I know.

Has sir thought about a GTi Turbo ? Or on a smaller budget a Mk2 Scirocco Storm ?

->Still, I might be able to run the TDi on chip fat. Make it even cheaper

->to run, less black smoke, and it will smell nice to follow.

Provided you are not followed by the old bill, 50/50 mix does smell and unless you have a heater you'll have to wait till the summer.

Reply to
Geoff

Is that just in the VW range? I've heard of Delica and Pajeros being able to run 50/50 in winter, and

70% SVO or cleaned WVO in summer.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2
306 GTi-6? Prices have fallen through the floor, and you could pick a decent one up for sub 3k. Just make sure it's been treated like a laaady*

  • - wined, dined and serviced regularly? I'm not sure - I'm making this up as I go along...

Nick

Reply to
NickD

Forgot to include reasons why - d'oh!

Handling is superb, 30mpg combined, reasonably spacious and just good fun. Oh, and they still look reasonably fresh. And most of them, while expensive to run in the first few years (cambelts, a/c and the like) are not so bad now.

Nick

Reply to
NickD

->> Provided you are not followed by the old bill, 50/50 mix does smell and unless

->> you have a heater you'll have to wait till the summer.

->>

->>

->Is that just in the VW range?

->I've heard of Delica and Pajeros being able to run 50/50 in winter, and

->70% SVO or cleaned WVO in summer.

The problem is the chip fat freezes, you can get in line heaters to get round this. The other problem is you need to keep the fuel pump lubricated, if you run too much fat you will need to add lubricants to the fuel.

A 50/50 mix does stink (ever more so if you are over fueling) so you need to either pay the duty or not let the police follow you !

Reply to
Geoff

Oh yeah, I knew the smell is going to be an issue.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Cheers. Did think about the 306, either GTi-6 or Dturbo.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Plus, 6 speed gearbox :) Which, is pretty cool. At least, it was till it become the industry standard in big cars like Mondeos....

Reply to
DanTXD

yep. It's been weird switching back to the 5-speed box in my Punto. Feels a lot taller, and on the motorway I keep looking for 6th. Fortunately I haven't yet put it in reverse at 70mph...

Nick

Reply to
NickD

GTi 6 is a nice car, don't see to many. used to see one every morning when i had my MK1 MR2 and i was working in chelmsford. he had the TINY lil bit more poke but it was pretty even. when i got my MR2 turbo a few months later it really wasn't worth racing the guy anymore when i saw him, but i still did :)

Reply to
Vamp

And look where those antics got you ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

yeah bloody lucky they didn't catch me racing anyone! the penalty for that is harsh from what i read! i'd be a prison bitch by now!

Reply to
Vamp