Sig change...

Down to four cars - let's see how long this'll last then. A8 has been picked up earlier this morning, but for some reason I'm also looking at other "sensible" cars on fleabay. I really need to stop doing that...

Anyway, letting the auction run to the end turned out to be a good idea because I ended up getting a hundred quid more than the highest "will you take x to end the auction early" offer I had received...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

JFDI.

With a VAG 1.8T conversion chipped to 200bhp.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, let's see if the seller gets back to me or not.

Why? It's got a perfectly reasonable engine in it already.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ahhh, see that 'S', I didn't spot it originally.

Reply to
SteveH

Sir, I am dissapointed in your poor observation skills. Your anorak will be removed if any such further displays are noted.

P.S. Top Gear last week - Strada Abarth, was it just me that was ranting excitedly at the TV ? (Proably was I should imagine)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Heh.

No you weren't. Actually I was wondering where the hell they found one in the first place.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

In an dry sealed oxygen tent not unlike the one Michael Jackson used to allegedly use I should think...

Reply to
JackH

Oxygen tent?!

Nah, you wouldn't want that. That'd just encourage the rot.

Nitrogen tents are the answer.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah... that'll explain why Michael Jacksons face is so manky now, then. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Better than buried in a time capsule, I think :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

We found remanents of a VW Beetle buried in the back garden of the house my parents bought when I was 10... needless to say, they weren't exactly pristine. :-D

Reply to
JackH

Nice :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Well, looks like the 740 might be mine then. Checked it over this morning, seems in pretty good nick even though I think it does need a thermostat, but that and the associated gasket are a tenner from GSF. Seems to drive ok for a comfybarge as well. Sounds like an OK-ish deal for 510 quid even though I'd probably want to throw a couple of tyres at it, too.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

URL, or is this one of the numerous old bits of tat you see parked on the side of the road on the drag into town from your place? :-P

Reply to
JackH

The old bits of tat didn't yield much in the way of usefulness.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I had one of those a while back - bloody thing wouldn't run for very long, and appeared to be down to an iffy carb, which was a shame as it was extremely comfy.

Is the seller as chavvy in real life as he comes across in the listing? ;-)

I know someone who has been known to park stuff along there - avoid!

Reply to
JackH

Compared to the state most 740s are in, it certainly is.

This one's FI, fortunately :). That said, the seller mentioned that it had been pretty much undrivable when he got it due to a seized up idle control valve (which he fixed).

Oddly enough, no. Seems to be a bit of a Volvo nutter and that 240 he mentions is in amazing nick.

"Not good enough to be sold on ebay", eh?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

See I like the look of them, but when considering them, I was basically told to stop being stupid...

Bum.

Reply to
Elder

Timo doesn't do a relatively long commute everyday like you do.

No thanks - Vamp might oblige you though, given his new wheels. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Well he does, just not in a car :).

Reply to