Sig change...

That'll be the Integra gone then. Hopefully the Elise should be ready by next weekend unless the DVLA really drag out the process of changing regs.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The T5 has gone, and now I've got an STD, an auto box, climate, leather , cupholders, armrest, cd stacker etc.

So basically, I've swapped cruise control and a turbo for 4wd and a 2.8 V6.

I'm going to miss Swedish build quality.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I don't think we want to know.

Reply to
Adrian

You charmer... STD as in Soft Touch Dash... Pah.

Reply to
Pete M

Yeah but it will never be as prestige as a Passat.

-- Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Do you like it ?

I've always fancied an A6 Avant.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It seems rather nice in a typically damped Audi kind of way. Certainly grips well, leather seats aren't as comfy as the Volvo ones, but they do hold you in place. Tiptronic box is a bit weird in Auto mode - changes gear 'adaptively' depending on how fast you operate the throttle as opposed to however 'normal' autos work it out, so quite often in slowish traffic the bloody thing can't decide whether to be in 3rd or 5th. There's quite a difference between 3rd and 5th, 5th is a mega-overdrive (70 is about 2200 rpm) and 3rd seems to be the 'point and squirt' Snake Pass special.

Exhaust is louder than in the T5, aircon fans are definately more noticeable in decibels, ride is slightly less harsh in town but not as good at speed. It's nowhere near as big for carrying stuff as the Volvo and the V6 isn't as smooth as the T5 lump at highish revs.

Quattro makes up for a lot of it though, you can feel it shifting the power around when shunting around town, pulling out of junctions etc, the odd bit of drivetrain shunt occasionally, but I don't know a 4wd car that doesn't do that. It's infinately preferable to the V6 TDi I had a couple of years ago when it comes to grip and handling, turn in is a lot better but the whole car feels very heavy. There's a sense of huge inertia when changing direction quickly but it doesn't seem to affect the handling other than making you aware that there's a ton and three quarters travelling quickly. Steering is a lot less sleepy than in the

2wd one. Not much feedback, but the sense that there's not much to tell the driver about. It does grip, have I said that?

There are a few bits of broken plastic here and there, need to get a new mirror switch and ultrasonic bypass switch as they're broken, and one of the rear cupholders seems jammed. The chrome around the gearlever shows signs of wear but the car has obviously been a family motor for a few years. Irritating as the Volvo was still as it was built.

The dot matrix 'information' display is slightly dodgy but that's not unusual on them. The BOSE [1] system isn't as good as the Volvo's Alpine job, but the Audi has a sub and I play bass so it's swings and roundabouts on that score. The Audi setup is good for listening to funk, the Volvo was less 'muddy' and a bit louder.

It's missing the heated seats, sunroof and cruise control of the Volvo, and giving away 35 bhp, but it isn't a bad ol' thing. Doesn't rattle at all, which is a good thing, and it looks a bit more modern than the T5.

If you want fun, the T5 wins hands down. If you want something that you can wander about in without worrying about grip and the chance of wheelspinning into the scenery at 150 mph then the Audi is pretty good.

Reply to
Pete M

The BOSE [1] system isn't as good as the Volvo's Alpine

Whooooaaahhhhh there.

You play bass ?

Snap :-)

Been doing it for %^$$%$% years now.

Tell me what you've got / had.

(I'm a traditionalist, if it isn't a sunburst Jazz, I'm not interested these days.) Although I will fess up to having had.

A Jaydee Supernatural. A Wal. Three Statii - A Groove, a Series I and a Series 3000 fretless. An Overwater. A Steinberger. Trace Elliot Stack Ashdown Stack

Yes, the 80s were great for basses :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Nothing serious you understand.

Good man.

I played when I was around 15, started again about four years ago when I got back into the studio 'scene'.

Had an early 60's Jazz bass but that went to buy my first car. At the moment I'm abusing an Epiphone EB0 with flat wound strings. It's not bad. Sounds good with the flat wounds. Play a '66 Hofner violin bass in the studio. I'm not good.

Heh, the amp I use is known affectionately as "The Blue Bullshit" but it sounds pretty good. Don't have a clue what it is, it's a home made job but it's effective.

Indeedy.

Reply to
Pete M

Hah, sitting outside back at Porters last night, they had a band on doing Stones/ACDC/ZZTop/Thin Lizzy stuff.

I'm outside, enjoying a pint and a ciggy, foot tapping and fingers slapping away on the table enjoying myself. Big hairy biker type walks up and says "Ere, do you play bass?" "Erm, nope", "shame, you have a good sense of rhythm" and toddles off.

Reply to
Elder

Well, they do say that the bass player is there to translate between the drummer and the musicians.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

In school I did have a few sessions in on drums in an after school club. But the school only had 1 drum kit between 20 interested drummers, and a

2 hour session a week. Can you imagine how little actual drum practice we had on the kit between drumming on the desk tops with sticks, and theory.
Reply to
Elder

I play the drums, albeit badly. Not had a kit in the house for 4 years now. I'm really tempted to buy a secondhand set of Roland V-Drums and get into it again.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

V-Drums are very very cool indeed. I did a couple of gigs recently with some blokes and the drummer uses a TD12 kit. That through some Mackie 1530zs and SWA2801Zs (I think) sounds a bit special. Capable of knocking walls down.

(I know Tim SK , there's much better, but this is working man's PA that you own and gig with.)

Anyway, V drums get the thumbs up here.

For what it's worth, I got to play lead guitar on Bohemian Rhapsody through this fairly beefy PA. I would rather have played bass - it would have been the voice of Thor - but never mind. It was still cool.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

And this weeks working mans PA is a 2 way GAE rig, very compact, very high quality.

V drums work really well if you can get your drummist to play them. Cheaper than getting a decent drum kit, set of drum mics and a drum tech too. The other good thing is that they have a volume control and make for a silent stage when running headphone or in ear monitoring.

Mackie.. yum. At least it's improved since the RCF and EAW buyouts a few years ago.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp