Coolant change in a Fiat Punto

I want to change the coolant in my friends 1996 1.1 Fiat Punto. How do I go about doing this? I am fairly mechanically minded but I have never worked on a Punto before. His coolant is a very dark colour. It looks contaminated.

AC

Reply to
Aidy baby

Pull plug or hose from rad. Collect old coolant in container and dispose of in environmentally friendly fashion. Refit hose/plug. Refill with correctly mixed coolant. Job done.

Reply to
gazzafield

That doesn't sound right. I have a Fiat too, which should use the same stuff, and it's clear. The container is a beige colour which makes it look a bit dark though. Are you sure it's not the colour of the container?

Is the car using oil, and is there mayonaise in the filler cap? It could be the cylinder head gasket.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

WTF are you putting in the expansion tank?

You should be using bog-standard blue stuff from the local motor factor.

Reply to
SteveH

According to my service history it should be what the main dealer put it. Hmm, weird. I'm going to be changing it ASAP anyway, hopefully next weekend. I've never put anything in there, but the guy who serviced it last put some tap water (from my tap) in it.

It's best to get distilled water to mix in isn't it, and this can be bought at a motorfactor can't it? The water around here's very hard, so I don't really want to use tap water.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk