Maybe I'm just an impatient so and so...

I'm having a little grump here. Because of trackdays I booked a while ago, I really would need the Elise that's in the sig as pending by next weekend. I thought I had communicated that to the seller, but maybe it wasn't obvious enough. And that's *need*, not *want*.

Basically, matey put the car up before bothering to take his personal reg off. OK, so he's not in a hurry to sell the thing but still, if you want to sell something you should be prepared for the person who walks in with a carrier bag full of cash.

Nevermind, so we hashed out the deal last Tuesday and he promised me to get the plate transfer sorted out the next day. DVLA had quoted him 5 days over the phone so I was looking forward to picking up the car towards the end of next week.

Get an email last night saying that he finally dropped the paperwork off at the local VRO and they quoted him 5-7 working days. Now five days would just about work, but seven days doesn't because it'll delay the whole thing past next weekend. I have to go over the car next weekend, fit the cat back on (too loud otherwise) and do some other jobs and most importantly, check if there is anything I need to sort out on the bank holiday weekend because I've got a trackday coming on September

1st. Maybe I'm being to Germanic here but I *hate* turning up with a car that's not had at least some basic prep.

Maybe I'm just not relaxed enough about this sort of shit, but stuff like that just gets my goat. I'm currently this >< close to calling off the deal and let him keep my deposit and go look for a car that I can just swap for cash straight away.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Nah, it is bloody annoying, Almost as annoying as ordering something and paying the extra for next day delivery, and them confirming it in the email/receipt etc. Then when you wait in and nothing shows up, and you are told it is on back order for 3 weeks and has been for a while. When you ask about the extra you paid for next day, and they try to blag you that you will get it next day when it comes in and you really have to drag their arses over the coals to get them to refund it.

Reply to
Elder

I'm glad I'm not alone with this. I ended up emailing the guy a deadline stating that if I don't have the reg by a certain time on Friday (basically and hour before my broker turns off the phones), the deal's off.

Lesson learned - I'm not going to make another offer on a car that "just" needs the plate taken off.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Exactly. I heard that it sometimes takes 6 months or longer to get a plate off a car :-P.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Oh joy, the previous keeper wants his plate off the Audi. I do hope that doesn't take six months :-p

Reply to
Pete M

I think the issue here is more with the previous keeper needing something to transfer the plate to :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The good news is that the DVLA apparently got their fingers out and confirmation letter for the new old reg has made it to the owner. Looks like I might still be the proud owner of a Lotus on the weekend.

Reply to
Timo on tour

Ooh! If you need someone to ride shotgun / take pics etc at a trackday, give me a shout. :-D

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

You got any plans for the Lydden trackday in September?

BTW, you wouldn't be around on the weekend, would you?

Reply to
Timo on tour

Nope.

'Economically unviable' at the mo, unfortunately.

Possibly.

Actively looking for a bike at the mo as the Divvie went the other day and the van is going tomorrow, so might dive off to pick something up at some stage.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Well, we could try if we can fit you in the passenger seat of the Elise so I can blame the laptimes on the additional weight.

:D

You're selling the van? That doesn't sound good.

Anyway, I'm just trying to work out the logistics of getting myself over to the Lotus on Saturday around midday. Car is near Hoo, hence the question regarding your weekend availability.

Reply to
Timo on tour

Cheeky f***er!

Which weekend is it?

Well I bought it on a whim... and it has proven to be useful, but not so useful that I can't just manage for 95% of the things I need a vehicle for, with a hatchback or estate.

Meanwhile, it's soaking up money in terms of insurance etc and not earning enough to pay its own way, and tbh, what with the ongoing issues with my insurers regarding it being a minibus on paper, I've decided it's not worth the grief. :-(

I'm taking the youngest rollerskating first thing... if you can pick it up a little later in the afternoon I can do it. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

:-)

26th.

Ah yes, that would be rather annoying.

Should be doable - I'll check with the owner. Given that the alternative is to make it to Strood somehow by train, turning up a little later in the afternoon should be OK.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ok, have pencilled that in. :-)

It is... although it's quite amusing to see the spate that the local office of insurers have got into with their HQ over it. ;-)

Not great from where you are, methinks.

I suspect you'd need to change at Maidstone...

Anyway, let me know - I reckon I could be at yours for 1.30pm, so we'd be in Hoo by 2.30pm at the outside. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Methinks that too.

I've just emailed the bloke to see if that's OK. Given that I suggested I was going to turn up mid day I don't see a problem with turning up mid afternoon...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Good news. Are you going to put a private plate on it? That would look right smart...

Reply to
PCPaul

Na, I'll leave the plate as is. For starters I haven't got a personal plate to put on and I'm not spending money on one either.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I was only asking because I don't believe they are much hassle ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

Reply to
Timo Geusch