sooty exhaust

is a sooty exhaust a sign that you should be running coller or hotter spark plugs on a turbo car?

Reply to
LK

its a 220 coupe turbo, which i think is running about 230 bhp. mate has just bought it and had it serviced, noticed the soot on the exhaust. i am sure that i read somewhere that it is a sign that the spark plugs are either too hot or too cold. he is running the std unipart plugs. is it a sign of overfueling on a petrol turno as well? what are the options to sort this?

Reply to
LK

Same with my 620 TI (same engine) and I'm also running the std unipart plugs. Not noticed any problems.

Reply to
Nom

Do you mean you have sooty exhaust but it is not a problem, or that you have same bhp but no soot?

think he also has an FSE boost valve and a decat. i don't know what boost he is running but i would thnk that it is higher than std.

wonder if it could be an air filter problem. he has a cone type filter but i don't know which make, does look a lot like a pipercross though. maybe he should clean that.

Reply to
LK

Yup.

I'm running 12psi, as opposed to the standard 10psi, so I have whatever bhp that gives me.

Neither here.

13psi is about the limit without internal engine-work.

I've got a K&N element, in the standard airbox.

Post your question on the forums on roverload.com and rovertech.net - I'd be insterested to see the answers

Reply to
Nom

Righty - just ordered me a set of Denso Iridium plugs. IK20 is the fitment you want for the Rover Turbos, and I paid about £30 including post, from this guy

're MUCH cheaper from the USA, and they should be here during the middleof next week :)

Reply to
Nom