the modding has begun

Hello,

My policy has that in it too, but I don't have it for anything other than private use. It's a fully comprehensive policy for one car with me as the only driver for personal use. The only thing is, if you drive a car belonging to someone else - THEY - must have an insurance policy for the vehicle otherwise the police and court will prosecute you for driving without insurance. It's a big con and unclear wording of the policy document. I was under the impression that due to the policy wording I could drive ANY vehicle even if it was owned by someone else such as a friend, but third party only. I can only do that if the person that owns the car has a current insurance policy in his/her own name, even though I am technically insured myself. The problem is that any other car I might want to drive is not named on my policy. This is why a garage will put garage plates on a car during a test drive. There was a big argument on a phone-in one night, so the presenter got people from insurance companies on, police and people that had been prosecuted. So before driving anyone elses car or motorbike, check they have a valid policy for it or you will be prosecuted - even if you're fully comprehensive and your policy clearly states you can drive a vehicle not belonging to you as third party only.

Reply to
RT4T

The components from the factory are a price/performance/reliability and comfort compromise.

PrimeraGT lowered 30mm on adjustable koni shocks and uprated eibach springs with performance discs/pads and braided hoses. 16" OZ superT's with the correct offset and slightly fatter tyres. It handled absolutely impeccably and I had quite an adjustment to make when I got this standard VRS, I've been reaquainted with brake fade and understeer. As soon as the warranty is up I will sort it, I can hardly wait.

Reply to
JohnR

What is it with standard brakes? My Rover 75 was brilliant in that respect, never suffered fade, noise or dust problems, but the spacewagon, the Rover

400, the Zafira and even the Volvo [1] have all suffered.

Have settled on ferodo pads / brembo discs as the first "upgrade" (standard size and fit) for my cars now.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Do you drive round with the fog lamps on?

Reply to
JohnR

It's called choice to have a car that he can play with and not worry about breaking, it's called not wanted to spend more money than he has on something that an idiot (like yourself) might drive into, because your "factory standard, tyres are worn out so you need a new car, brand spanking new 1.1 gophermobile" has brakes made of roasted camel poop and old flan tins, instead of something of an upgrade involving used, but examined, parts from a heavier better specced higher performance version, but they are good enough for the gophermobile accountants, so they are good enough for you.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Not on a trade policy it isn't. A trader does not need to vehicle to remain insured by someone else, to be covered under the "Any vehicle" part of his policy, otherwise all traders would be breaking the law everytime they deliverd/collected a vehicle from a client, because the first thing someone does when they sell a vehicle is either transfer the insurance to another vehicle, or cancel the policy.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

in news:1gs97nv.gs19sn1kgqb22N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) slurred :

Yebbut, I get tbe impression that he is doing it because he wants to. If he is enjoying the time he's spending on it, then that is reason enough to do it.

If he had claimed to be doing it with the intention of it being an investment, I'd agree with you.

Perhaps, but so what? If the pleasure is in the modding, why would that be any better?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

We've done this before, although I don't recall your name being the same.

1) We're in urc.Modifications - not urc.LeaveItAsStandard 2) Cars usually leave the factory with a pretty ordinary set of bits and pieces are definitely aren't ideal for everyone. Although, it's possible things like Ferraris are hard to improve.

Suffice to say you're (IMHO) wrong, and probably in a poor choice of newsgroup.

Reply to
Questions

Yes that's another thing - the brakes started squeeking like a bastard just before christmas and they now grind quite loudly as well, visually there's nothing out of the ordinary - i'm going to get it booked in and let them sort it (eventually).

I can't bring myself to start looking again - I made the mistake of looking at the turbo/engine modifications available shortly after getting it and now have to live with the pangs for the next 18 months.

Reply to
JohnR

This is why I have a Mk4 Golf - excellent brakes as standard, just as the standard brakes were excellent on the Mk3 that I had before it.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

Whether or not we agree with Rob's ideas with his cars, I think we'd all agree that you should just piss the f*ck right off back where you came from.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes, and this can of worms has been opened several times before on here as well. A friend of mine once got caught driving his girlfriend's Nova without tax or MOT, but he had "3rd party on any car not belonging......" cover through his insurance. They got a fine for the tax, plus the back tax, and a £25 fine + £35 costs for no MOT. Granted, had an accident happened, the insurance situation could well have been *very* different, but this is just one example of someone that wasn't prosecuted (as far as the insurance goes).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

They all say that, Sir... ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Whereas I look outside and in the garage to see:

Passat, Alfa 75, Alfa 155, MkI Golf Cabrio (OK, doesn't run.... yet), Honda VFR800 and MZ ETZ300.

All owned outright.

Quite interested that this so-called 'trade' policy cost only £800 when my uncle, who's a used car dealer pays a couple of thousand for one, even though he's well into his 60s and has been in the trade for 40 years.

Reply to
SteveH

Hehe, my turn.......

Looks outside (and within a 25 mile radius) to see an E32 BMW 730i, a similar aged 735i, a '99 Seat Ibiza TDI, an Audi A6 Avant TDi, and a almost-the-latest-model Renault Master van.

I've also got a head gasket set for a Ford 1.3 CVH engine - will swap for a multipack of crisps.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Don't suppose a Pierburg 1E carb would be an acceptable swap, then?

It's a bit dirty and doesn't fit my manifold.

Reply to
SteveH

Escort Mk2, Triumph Spitfire, Impreza, Pug 106, Pug 205, MR2 and a MX5 on our drive/garage. Not too shabby.

IIRC my dads was about £1800 a year for anything that was worth up to about £25k

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Did I ? News to me.

Clearly not, apparently just you wrong again. As usual.

Reply to
LordyUK

It's hardly my fault you have an imposter.

Still driving s**te old Rovers, then?

Reply to
SteveH

No actually, not that it's remotely any of your business and not that it's got remotely anything to do with the question.

Who the f*ck are you anyway, no hang on - doesn't matter, just realised I don't care

Reply to
LordyUK