The ride of your life in only 7 seconds...

When trips to the Nurburgring go bad:

I've always fancied a E30 325, but I guess this sort of thing'll be why there aren't many gooduns left.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Oops

Here's some retro ring madness:

Abo

LOL, especially at the guy who fell out!!

Some mates of mine are going there this summer, I'm not coz of money issues, but I think I'd be too worried to do it anyway! Obviously there's the risk of breaking your car, but you have to pay for any damage/cleaning to the the track too. A friend of mine who works for a Merc magazine goes there quite often to test new Mercs and her magazine owns numerous sections of the armco where various employees have crashed into them and had to pay for replacements!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Nah this is why there are no good ones left:

Steve Firth

Yup. 99% of my driving over a few decades has been with RWD cars, but the E30 is one car I'd never buy. They have a reputation for being 'tail happy'. Letting go with very little warning even in the hands of an experienced RWD driver. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news:461f4d68$1$8737$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Mike G wittered on forthwith;

I've always found the E30 to be ok. If they get tail happy it's because they've been provoked, and even then they're a piece of piss to catch.

An E30 is a very dull car compared to something like a Turbo Technics 2.8i Capri - the Capri is proper fun.

Reply to
Pete M

You're probably right, but from all reports I seen and heard they don't need much provoking due to the design of the rear suspension. A 'fault' that was recognised by BMW and why they redesigned it on later models.

An aquantance of mine went into a ditch after lost the back end on his E30 a few years ago on a wet road. According to him he wasn't in a hurry, and not driving particularly fast.

Another car tha can catch out the unwary I gather. Again, some years ago a local was killed after wrapping his round a tree. The car was virtually folded around the tree, and the engine had ripped out completely. The police estimated his speed at about 70mph when he hit the tree sideways.

My Vitesse SD1 is, IMO the best balanced and docile RWD car I've ever driven. Better than either my BMW E34 or E39. You can still hang the tail out, but unless you really force it, the breakaway is quite progressive and easily controlled. Holding it in a continuous slight drift with the accelerator on long bends in the wet is quite undramatic. So much so that I've had passengers on occasion, who've never even noticed. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news:461fc8a3$0$8722$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Mike G wittered on forthwith;

I lost an Integrale on a diesel covered road. Nothing is invincible.. Not even me!

Heh, a Tickford met a similar fate at the "Rocket" end of the M62, straight into the flyover. I knew the chap, he'd always had 2.0S Capris, bought the Tickford and was dead within the week. He was doing a bit more than 70...

My late, beloved, SD1 Vitesse had very well tweaked suspension, had to be doing 80ish before the back would step out. Fun when it did though, the Black Cat Roundabout on the A14 was the best place in the world to be driving that thing :-D

Reply to
Pete M

Hahahahaah!

Reply to
DervMan

Heh. And most of the cars have something in common, namely the engine being at the wrong end of the car...

Reply to
Timo Geusch