Paging all the Saabisti :-)

How nice is this then :-)

Bought to replace the 9000 - which is now for sale with a Full Year's ticket.

Anyway - we couldn't resist this 900 seeing as it is so nice. At the risk of being boring.

Full service history All the MOTs

6000 miles in the last year. Back seat never sat on etc etc......

Blah blah blah. Drives like a 1960s design registered in 1990 with a smattering of sortova modern technology. Love it :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Nice. And a 16v Non turbo, so very, very understressed. Sweet. How do you find it to drive, the 900 and the 9000 are very different experiences.

An 89 900 will feel an antique, while an 89 9000 will feel really modern.

Reply to
Elder

It feels 'old' but fresh - because of the low mileage I guess. A bit antique, as you say. Weird gearchange and 70s doorhandles. But perfect condition.

I love the fact that everything about it is so different to every other car I have ever driven - especially the drivetrain. Minor rust scab on the NS door - easily sorted this weekend and then it will stand up to any scrutiny.

How's the Rangey going ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

You are Henry Crabbe AICMFP.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And shiny. I don't think I've ever seen anything so shiny.

I will scrutinise it for the group this Sunday and report back if you turn up at the track in it.

Barring any major mechanical/medical disasters between now and then the MX-5 and I will be present.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

So far so good. A few coolant leaks to keep an eye on from the T pieces for the LPG, but watchable not critical.

MOT next saturday. I expect something, maybe even a little welding. After all it is a 19 year old chunk of Birmingham that has been used off road.

Handling is a little dubious, but I don't know how much of that is high lift kit, or steering box, and live axle at both ends. But it is certainly drivable, but interesting.

Has Pro-Comp 9000 shocks.

Is OK on the motorway, even in the wagon ruts. I do like an Auto box though. Should have gotten an auto a long time ago.

Leather is OK, but a bit dry, power seats work. Sunroof works (tilt and slide), front windows work. Blowers work, and the aircon kicks in if you bridge it so needs gas.

Reply to
Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

Rick?

It's a Rangie on stilts. Waddya expect?

True.

Bargain.

Actually, it's not a shed. Bit scruffy but there's quite a lot of decent bits on it, and it seems to run well enough. I'd have it, but I'm looking forwards to the Golf being back on the road.

If you're getting your puncture done Sat, you'll be able to watch me either fixing or ignoring the Golf while you're there :)

Reply to
Pete M

Yup. In on 21st. He couldn't do this Saturday, as he is off and his boss is testing. And I'm over seeing you about that puncture.

Exactley.

Yeah, I'll be in on Saturday. Need to get the proper tyre back on instead of the "too small" original sized one.

Reply to
Elder

MmmHhhhhh.

It is a bit sensible and middle class, isn't it ?

The old boy it came from lives in a very nice area of Edinburgh called Colinton. Lives in a nice sensible house. Garden in lovely condition.

Nearly three grand of servicing bills wedged into the docs.

So yes, I get your point - 110%

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

No, no, he's a very good cook and detective.

See:

About 2/3 of the way down - post from silversaab96.

Doesn't everyone in Colinton live in a nice sensible house? Girl I once fancied deeply came from there, but I couldn't stand her parents, the "dzsenzsible" lifestyle and the apparent need to talk like Malcom Rifkind and wear a beige Pringle sweater.

Good people to buy cars from.

I'm humming and havering over a Land Rover Disco for sale locally.

3.9V8, spotless condition, only 24K miles on it (1992) and they'll sell if for £2k. Normally I'd rate that as well over the odds, but this car looks like it did in the showroom.

Sellers are, of course, sensible people in a sensible house living a sensible life. Car has fmdsh and every tax disk, MoT and receipt.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A sensible choice sir.....

They would probably insist on concluding business over a pot of tea and some freshly baked scones as well.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Mind telling me how much you had to stump up? It's like a tidy non turbo version of the car on my street that is. I want it rather a lot. As soon as the Golf's finished and I've broken the other Golf , I can get another motor.

Reply to
Doki

Sure.

Five hundred quid. Which is maybe a lot for a G reg Saab in many eyes. But, as I said, there is the bill here for £6,750 for the purchase and the servicing bills for £2,800 over the last ten years. And the MOTs all confirm the very slowly increasing mileage. It's a rare find IMHO.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Swiiiing!

Swiiing.

Isn't something missing? :-)

Oooh. Is that a standard grill?

So ticks all around then.

Yes. The later 900 and 9-3 feels more modern, less characterful because of this too.

*grins*
Reply to
DervMan

How much are you asking for the 9000 and did you get round to fitting the inter cooler and upping the power?

Reply to
James Grabowski

The Saab did get an upgrade of the ECU which led to 18psi of boost, but we have removed that and it is now a standard car again. Intercooler is there but not fitted.

Somewhere to the strong side of 500 quid would be welcome :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Yep - very. I think we'll live.

Think so.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It is a standard Saab grille. But I think some non turbos got plain black ones. Mainly turbos got the grille, but I imagine it was an option.

Looks stunning. I thought the only time it didn't rain was when the midges were out?

Reply to
Elder

They usually conspire to give us April and part of May as a holiday.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Oh I wasn't saying, something is missing in a bad way, no no. I didn't mean that it isn't a turbo - don't get me wrong, the turbos are great fun, but the naturally aspirated model is not a lesser Saab, if you see what I mean.

Yeah I should have said, "the standard grill" rather than "a standard grill" if you see what I mean.

Charlie keeps on pointing to my 9-3's tow bar and then to

heh. :)

Reply to
DervMan