Ping PeteM

In news:1hwj5ms.ouidzl1uuv2paN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH wittered on forthwith;

Yup, pretty sure they do both fire at once.

Reply to
Pete M

This is one you may well know, given your perversion for 164 TSparks....

On the older 8v TSpark lumps, do both distributors fire at the same time? - 'cos if they do (unlike the new 16v lumps which fire the 2nd spark with the exhaust ports open) I think I'm currently running a 75 Single-Spark....

Reply to
SteveH

Arse.

I can get it to run on the lower distributor alone, but not on the one on the RH cam. I assume that one isn't firing, unless there's some strange reason why that dizzy won't run the engine alone. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Looks like I'd better get one of those little spark plug cap things so I can see a visible sign of firing, then.

Good news is that I tested the variator and that appears to be working fine. I had been wondering, 'cos it doesn't feel like it's working in the same way it did in my 155.

Reply to
SteveH

No, they don't.

The inlet-camshaft runs a de-phaser (Alfa calls it a variator of phase)

If the TS runs single-spark, the non-sparking one will foul very rapidely and shorten with carbon.

Best thing to do is clean and gap the spark plugs, if that doesn't help change the leads. After that come the expensif pieces: dephaser and ECU.

One of my 75's had a very erratic idle when both coils were fitted. If I took out one, the engine ran idled like a dream but power was down. ECU was changed twice (350 UKP/pce) and the dephaser (400 UKP and 5 weeks waiting for it!) but with no bettering. Finally -the 5-th Alfa-garage- changed the leads and all was OK.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.telenet.be, Tom De Moor wittered on forthwith;

I sit corrected.

Reply to
Pete M

Right, that's good, 'cos all 8 plugs that came out were in similar condition.

All done, apart from the 'de-phaser' and ECU.

Well, it's all running and idling nicely, better than it was before I changed leads, so I'll probably ignore any doubts I have for now.

(Only done the leads on the 'top' distributor so far, 'cos the leads I bought are designed to fit plugs with the little screw-on bits that I threw away when I fitted the plugs with the original leads in place.....

I had one set of the screw on caps, which went on with the new leads.

Reply to
SteveH