The upgrading continues.

Yes, but would whatever £4k would get you come with all this stuff guaranteed to last a hell of a long time, with better uprated bits, or a lot of stuff that could well need seeing to in the next year or two?

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

But it has made me wanna buy an ST205 in 2 1/2 years :) But then, i change my mind often and will probly just end up with a 206 GTi or GTi 180. Or Clio 182. Or Alfa 156/147 GTA if i'm richer :) Or BMW Alpina B7 if i'm lots richer. Or R5 GTT just for a little while to get it out of my system...

Reply to
DanTXD

I'd say something a fraction of the age would cost much less in maintenance over the next few years.

I can understand the whole modifying thing, but it baffles me when people start with such a poor basic vehicle.

Reply to
SteveH

You get better sound from a CD than a tape feel free to have a listen to the CD player in my G40 or my fathers Mini. I bet Nakamichi don't make a tape player that sounds better. Then again I have there CD500 and he has the 400.

Reply to
Depresion

Probably still just under £3k.

But what could I get for £4k? Hmm, a very low mileage St185 Import, a High mileage ST185 Carlos Sainz with wear and tear, or an unknown history ST205 import, with all sorts of mechanical problems just waiting to appear (to do the front figure of

8's on an ST205 is £700 of parts, plus the labour (not dealer prices) and they need doign every 40-60k miles).
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Steve, it's hardly poor, a 200BHP 4x4 coupe, that is rock solid structuraly after 15 years, doesn't look like your run of the mill hatch family car, still has good handling even when worn, and doesn't have the knob head factor that older cheaper Scoobs and evos have, or the fragility that Lancia Delta integrales have (or the LHD only feature), or the apparent price premium of a Quattro coupe.

The only actual non-functional part of the car is the aircon. mechanically it all works, but has no gas in it. I'm goign to chance a gas fill before summer and make sure it has no leaks. Rather than pay out for a R134A conversion, I'm going to have it pressure tested, vac dried, and refilled with RS24.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I have a whiteline kit on my Rex and it has dramatically improved it over a standard one. No more understeer.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Seeing as a tape only has about half the frequency response of a CD, and always has *some* hiss (unless you filter it out, along with all the music at the same frequency), then they're clearly s**te.

Dan's right - a tape player is, by definition, rubbish.

Yes, the Nakamichi units are the kings among the cassette world. They don't hold a candle to your average CD player !

Reply to
Nom

So they can charge you £300 for the CD-player option when you buy the car.

The same principle used to apply with things like body-coloured bumpers. It costs the manufacturer a pittance to spray them along with the bodywork - but they deliberately avoided doing so, so they could charge an extra £1000 for the LX model complete-with-body-coloured-bumpers etc.

Reply to
Nom

I'm just wating for my Whiteline and Decat kit to arrive. It's on order from they US, and they are waiting for Whiteline kit to appear from AUS.

In the UK, it costs silly money, in AUS it costs pennies, because things always do when worked out in AUS$, but the shipping is a killer for a single small order.

From the US with the USD$ being so crap ATM, it's still cheaper but takes longer, for me to order from the US, who add it to their next bulk freight shipment from AUS, then ship it to me, with the Decat from their own warehouse. Even if it is caught by customs, I will still save 1/3 of the uk prices for such items.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

My step-uncle's in Oz at the moment, definitely visiting Perth at some point, and probably Melbourne as well - if it's small I could ask him to bring it back. Probably no use at all though.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No. Wrong. Subjectively most people would agree that my Sony is as good as or better than a CD player - note I'm not talking about in-car units here...

Admittedly though my in-car CD / Tape is very good on tape.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Course, there is usually plenty of noise going on inside a car anyway, so detecting a difference can be tricky.

Reply to
Questions

Already ordered unfortunatley. And I guess he could hand luggage all the bushes, then wrap the anti roll bar and claim is was a digiridoo as a gift.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Next time you want something from Aus let me know. I'll happily send stuff if you are willing to return the favour.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

It's not wrong !

Tapes dont hold as much audio information as CDs. They are the inferior format. The end.

Then those people are deaf :)

Even the very best Nakamich players aren't a patch on a decent CD setup !

Reply to
Nom

Rex ?

Reply to
Nom

I refer to RX7's as "rex's" but i'm not sure thats what the OP has?

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Erm, no. Any digital audio format is an approximation of the actual sound wave. A bloody good approximation, but an approximation nonetheless. However, in the vast majority of cases, sound quality (especially lack of background noise levels) is much better on a CD than on a tape, but all digital systems are an approximation of the actual sound wave.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan