Thoughts on a Retro trackday car.

What would be good? For me, either something jap or something silly.

Doesn't have to be too fast, nothing too exotic parts cost wise. My thoughts were Tatty Mk1 MR2 with ticket. Volvo 340 1.7 (usually immaculate due to one giffer owner rwd not as slow as reckoned, pretty hard to break). Volvo 740 turbo saloon (cheap because it isn't an estate, will take a manual boost controller for some extra oomph, rwd). My brother who fancies going halves suggestion was an Escort SI. Nothing else, just an Escort SI. No other car on the planet comes close to providing the performance, parts cost and handling per quid than an Escort SI in his world and he would be happy to trailer it behind his Shogun. Or maybe a Nova at a push. He has no imagination.

This would be something that would have almost everything inside that isn't needed for the MOT stripped out plus a couple of speakers and radio for the times we drive there rather than tow, and a pair of bucket seats. trackmods would be a fresh pair of shocks and some lower stiffer springs, plus one box removed from the system and replaced with a length of pipe, plus a hollowed cat if it pre-92, and a homebrew cold air intake. Simple mods to free up breather and body roll.

I really like RWD, but for some reason he wants a FWD blue oval.

Reply to
Elder

If you can live with something a bit tatty and FWD, H22a Prelude 2.2 VTi would be my choice.

You can pick tatty ones of these up for peanuts these days.

Reply to
JackH

Something someone else has prepped. There may be the odd thing you'd have done better or differently, but these cars very rarely sell for anything like the cost of assembling them. FWIW, you wouldn't get me barrelling round a circuit in a ratty old piece of tin, of uncertain structural strength with no mods - bare minimum will be better brakes and good shocks IMO. A cage would be high on my list of priorities as soon as you got to the point of carrying any speed...

My choices would be: 205, MR2, E30, Ratty 924.

As I said to Timo, it's useful if you can buy something there's a race series for and prep to something along those lines if you want to recoup any kind of resale value.

Reply to
Doki

Or a Clio 172/182. Ratty ones are round about £2-3K now which is easily the cost of prepping a car, and these are supposed to be good out of the box.

Reply to
Doki

Hmm. Okay so trying to think of this from another perspective, if I wanted a track day car to learn about how the stuff I usually drove handled and went under stress, then something front wheel drive with a turbocharger could suit.

Perhaps that's why?

Reply to
DervMan

Is the Escort SI turbocharged, then? :-P

Reply to
JackH

This one if you can find one that's not terminally rusty. Which is a

*big* problem. They handle rather well out of the box so you pretty much don't need to do anything to them for basic track fun.

The heresy...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I like them, but FWD for a track car seems wrong, even though I know they can still be fun. Thing is while plentiful, decent modding/tuning stuff can be pricey. But it is thought as I like Jap stuff.

Reply to
Elder

He drives a Shogun, his missus has a 1.4 focus.

Neither is particularly like a late model Escort.

Reply to
Elder

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:02:30 +0100, Elder grumbled:

If he's insistent on FWD, you'd get a ratty 1.7 Puma for a similar price .I'd bet they're a right laugh on the track, they're just so chuckable. Like an old 205 without the killer oversteer.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I know what you mean. Naturally before it would be taken near a track it would have the brakes looked over.

He likes 205s as he has had a couple, but having had a couple of 3 series he reckons they would be too heavy. 924 I could live with.

Probably not looking at resale value in the end, that is why it would minimally modded.

Reply to
Elder

Have a look on the Pistonheads classifieds, there's a good selection of trackday cars that will already have had the work and money spent on them. Something like this,

Homer

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:45:24 +0100, Elder grumbled:

I got offered another tatty MX-5 with a bit of T&T for £600 a couple of weeks ago,. It was going to need a bit of sill-welding for to get it through test but other than that it was ok and would do what you want.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

That was my big worry, I know they can, and the reason for including them is, for basic fun they don't need as much to handle as say a Volvo or some other such older small RWD car.

Yup, and this is from someone who has owned both rwd and front wheel drive escorts and capris and cortinas/sierras in the past including a

1.6 engined rs2000 MK2 lookalike and a 2 litre cosworth sierra lookylikey that drove OK for what they were.
Reply to
Elder

Ha, looks nice and well done but was thinking more like =A3500 for=20 something tatty with ticket, a dulux paint over, and a couple of hundred=20 quid ebay for second hand bits like bargain buckets.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Seriously cannot drive one or it would be ideal. Hate that I cannot=20 drive one, I really do. I really wanted one when I had =A34k to spend at=20 christmas, but once seated I knew it would never have the knee height=20 arround wheel. It was so gutting, at least today after the drive I know=20 I could be very, very comfortable in a 911 should I ever be able to=20 afford to maintain a decent one.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

I seem to remember you finding them a tad too tame, for track work...

Reply to
JackH

I disagree.

Plenty of decent FWD stuff gets slung round Lydden - 106 GTis etc.

And that's the point; they book at 6.7 to 60 out the box, and tend to put up with loads of abuse - no need to mod to get decent use out of it.

The main thing that isn't cheap is the fuel - they drink it when ragged.

Reply to
JackH

I also wanted a Retro track car. Which I can also use every day if I want.

Golf GTI then. Yes, the unfashionable MK3 in my case. Hey, we're all different.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow when I get some insurance sorted out.

Now, where's that event calendar.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Steve Firth