The most important things in a car.

The Steve H "Alfas are the greatest, nothing else will ever come close", vs Dervy "I like diesels, so I drive a Ka" thread made me think.

What *are* the most important things in a car? [1]

My brother, who does billions of motorway miles reckons it's "Auto box, armrest, aircon and a bloody good stereo", which I can agree / sympathise with.

For me, it's a decent amount of poke [2], aircon, comfy seats, decent handling [3,4], cd / mp3 player, no traction control / esp type gubbins, petrol engine, and an engine with cylinders arranged in a V or flat formation. More than 4 cylinders is a major plus point, as is as much lazy, low down torque as possible.

Reliability is also a handy thing to have.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:42b42ca0$0$18648$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Missing footnote read as following.

[1] The usual "wheels and an engine" type comments excluded. [2] Hmm, the Rangey hardly qualifies on this, 165 bhp, 207 lb ft. [3] Handles reasonably for a huge 2 ton tank [4] The Capri handles, just doesn't do grip..
Reply to
Pete M

I'd agree with your brother, but would have to add plenty of head and leg room, and most importantly, leccy windows all round. And cruise control.

Reply to
conkersack

In news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ho yuss!

Bloody Range Rover should have cruise, it's got a cruise switch on the dash, the on / off one, but no other controls for it. I should really look under the bonnet for the cruise system.

Reply to
Pete M

I've not championed the diesel cause for a while (I don't need to)...

Reply to
DervMan

I'd agree, except the automatic transmission isn't really useful on the motorway (surely).

I guess it's horses for courses, thank goodness we all drive something different. :)

If I were picking something realistic for my commute, and _just_ for my commute, all I need is a good seat, reliability, air conditioning, ABS, low total cost of ownership, cruise control and decent ride in that order. Poke isn't relevant to my commute, which is just a 30 mile trip each way, 27 on the motorway, currently around 8 of these in a 50 limit.

It's strange, you know we swapped Mondeo diesel for Ka because we went from doing 20K a year to 6K. Now we're doing 30K a year...

Reply to
DervMan

Cannot believe REAR DRIVE is not 1st on the list for most of you! Then auto Cruise PS V something... Any other toys

Reply to
Burgerman

In news:VJWse.13713$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net, Burgerman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

RWD is pretty much essential.

Well, other than in the Rangey, that is.

Reply to
Pete M

Well its pretty much essensial on the range rover too because otherwise it turns into a front drive shopping trolly!

Reply to
Burgerman

Probaby the wheels and engine, without the engine it wouldn't start - and it couldn't move with no wheels.

Reply to
Me

Because for my commute it doesn't matter what end is driven.

Reply to
DervMan

Generally all I look for is something that'll make me smile and I can afford, which for the last few years have served me pretty well. I've gone for RWD, FWD, 4WD, front engined, mid engined, 2 seats, 5 seats, diesel, petrol etc etc, but at the end of the day none of that matters to me. I see a car, I like the look of it, so I jiggle the finances and buy it.

However at the end of the summer the XR4x4 will probably go and will be replaced with a cheap runabout (ie over 15mpg!), where the key factor will be cheap to buy, cheap to run and reliable. Which will probably equate to a diesel or small petrol PSA car.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Simple...... 4 Rings

Reply to
Ronny

All depends what you need the car for.

  1. Company car.

- reliability.

- economy (other word for turbo-diesel)

- image: not flashy.

  1. Service car

- reliability

- space and ability to pull a trailer (so 4x4).

- action radius: meaning big (diesel) tank

  1. Long distance car

- reliability

- no autobox, just enough torque to drive smoothly away in 5th

- must be able to cruise at 200 kph.

  1. Sports car but still streetdriven

- silhouette

- power

- brakes

  1. School run

- SUV

- bull bar (for security ;-) )

- autobox and automatic everything.

  1. Fun car.

- power

- power

- euh more power and a plastic card allowing to fuel up

  1. Race car

- all it needs is to pass the finish in first place.

  1. Deamon car

- >500 HP

- black

- 0 -> 100 kph in less than 5 sec.

  1. Car to hunt for materialistic ladies.

- Ferrari.

  1. .......

Tom - currently working on stage 8- De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

kinda agree, i like something that handles well, looks good to me in some way and has a bit of poke, prefere the feel now of RWD to FWD so would probably look for something with a/c and RWD and anything else being a plus, a good stereo can always be added :)

alloys are a must these days mind! no alloys seems so out of date now as some many new cars come with some kinda alloys.

Reply to
Vamp

Torque.

But it depends a bit >The Steve H "Alfas are the greatest, nothing else will ever come close", vs

Reply to
Questions

They're even easier to add than a new stereo...

If I find some 15" Mondeo steel wheels that'll fit on Kermit I'd be tempted...

Reply to
DervMan

Reliability, Safety, Comfort, Mid range acceleration, bragging rights, top speed of over 155Mph

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

not really as a set of decent alloys will set you back a few quid and if there bigger you have to mess with lowering it so it doesn't look such a tractor :)

Reply to
Vamp

I know what you mean... but I'm sure most people would lower anything on standard suspension for the look, if not for the handling (thinking Subarus, that don't take kindly to being lowered)...

Reply to
DervMan