Top Gear last night...

Oh, ffs, Conor.....

I *know*.

But there's something very special about the 280 Special / Brooklands.

Reply to
SteveH

I think Peugeot 205 Griffe or 309 Goodwood are in a similar vein. Graphite alloys and a jazzy paintjob distinguish them from the GTi variants but at least one of them would be in my collection if I had too much money, simply because they're cool.

You old dudes can keep your Crapis. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

quick everyone save this snippet of steveh getting something "slightly" wrong and admiting it! :)

Reply to
Vamp

Alot don't...

Yeah, the price

:-)

Reply to
Conor

As, ISTR, Doug said, it's up there with the 309 Goodwood as *the* example to own if you can justify the extra cost.

Reply to
SteveH

Yup, a Goodwood would be nice.

Reply to
DanTXD

and the tickford? what do u think of that?

Reply to
Theo

Still VW philsophy. The thing that struck me about the 1-series was that I can drive the Scorpio, Sera, Beetle, Subaru - pretty much anything - and they all feel much of a muchness. Sure, there are changes in limits and numbers, but overall, they are "Car".

The 1-series felt different. Sharper. It was a feeling I haven't experienced since the mid 90s when I ran an X1/9, and Opel Manta, and drove various types of car - and there were colours to the way they handled and behaved.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

With 130bhp from an A-series that was lucky to produce 80 from the factory (actually, wasn't that the MG Turbo?). That's some carb.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

They don't make those anymore, though :(

I mean, there is logic in my consideration of an XR4i instead of a new car.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I'd like one of those weird 2.0 V6 models they made for Europe.

Just, you know... to be different.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Didn't they make a 16v 309 for not-UK markets?

That would be the one to own for me.

Or a Scirocco 16v.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Small engines with lots of cylinders are ace - Rover 75 2.0V6, Mazda's oddball 1.8V6, 2.0V6 Mitsubishis, 2.0V6 turbo Maseratis... all funny as...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Automotive synaesthesia? Sounds like top-drawer stuff!

Reply to
conkersack

Well obviously the carb wasn't the only non-standard thing about it.

Reply to
Homer

The Beetle and Mk5 golf GTi feel completely different (not had a chance to take out the R32) the Mk5 has nice crisp starring and really good feel as good as any

3 series.
Reply to
Depresion

They did this is true, all left hookers tho. And if i was having one of them, I may as well have a 405 T-16.

Reply to
DanTXD

Nearly bought one of those a few years ago in Belgium. Went ok, but very comfy seats.

If I was going to buy something that weird at the moment it'd probably the Safrane Bi-Turbo that's knocking about near my work. GLF that thing, and the

4WD setup works pretty well too!

-- Pete M - Scouse Git Extraodinaire Alfa 155, Ford Capri (still dead), Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 OMF#9 COSOC# (can't remember)

Reply to
Pete M

Buy a Goodwood and stick an Mi16 engine. Not particularly difficult and you'd have a wicked car at the end of it!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Is a 405 T-16 turbocharged? I'm guessing an Mi16 isn't, so surely a T-16 is better, no?

Reply to
AstraVanMan