Tyre sizes

Can anyone advise on replacing the 205/60 R16 92H tyres on a 2 year old Nissan Primera? replacing like for like seems pretty expensive but I'm not clear what options there are with regard to using other sizes?

Anyone out there know about this stuff?

Thanks,

Joanna.

Reply to
Ian Walker

So let me get this right. You can afford a 2 year old car but can't afford to run it especially in relation to something thats safety critical?

If you can't afford the extra £50 then sell the car.

Reply to
Conor

Looks to me he is interested in going for bigger rubber.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You think? I think, because he mentioned the price, he's always run cars with like, 185/55/15 rubber, which is cheap and plentiful. Now his new Primera has these MAHOOSIVE 205/60/16's and they're £100 a corner :) Of course, i could be wrong and talking bollocks....

Reply to
DanTXD

mytyres.co.uk show branded tyres (toyo) for under 50 quid, contis at 64 quid, don't seem expensive to me, especially for putting on a 2 yr old car. Shop around.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Going 215/55/16 gives a lot more choice but price about the same. Probably fit fine but usual issues of having to change them all at the same time (or put the bigger, grippier, new ones on the rear to stop it going tail out on fast corners) and everyone on here will whine about insurance too.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thanks to all, sounds like there is a safety issue here? BTW my husband has just lost his job so I thought it was worth asking expert advice in case we were throwing money away unnecessarily!

Joanna

Reply to
Ian Walker

Only if the minor savings in the cost is so critical. Kind of begs the question "If you can't afford the £30 per wheel difference in tyres, what else doesn't get done?"

I'm sure he'll find another job. If there's a few mm of tread left on them I wouldn't start panicking yet. Also you can swap the fronts with the rears to make them last a bit longer as the fronts usually get worn more quickly.

Reply to
Conor

Stick to the factory size, but use a different brand.

You'll find any number of the "medium quality" brands like Hankook, Fulda, Falken etc. will be HUGELY cheaper - to the tune of maybe 50% !

Avoid the ultra-budget brands - go for something somewhere in the middle !

Reply to
Nom