Tyres...

Also posted this to misc - but fear I might get a load of "I get 30k from a set of fronts on my Mondeo" type replies in there, so I also put it to you fine hooligans.

It's come to my attention in the not too distant future, I'll be needing new rear tyres. Presently thinking I'm gonna have Goodyear F1s ('cos Hi-Q keeps a pair in stock...) - any reason why I shouldn't? Size is 235/45/17 and I presently have some mighty 'Nexan's' - which blow quite badly in the wet.

Grip, moreso in the wet been the primary requirement here. Not bothered about wear, or road noise (ha!). Would like to remain around the 100 quid a corner mark if possible.

Reply to
Iridium

Haven't got a price, but I'd suggest asking about the Marangoni Mythos.

They ran a set in the Nurburgring 24hr race in 2005 on a BMW 330cd.

Also, the slightly harder Zeta Linea should be available in your size - they're used in the RX8 Cup series.

The Zeta Linea has a funny tread pattern:

I've been more than happy with my cheapie Marangonis on the track - usually get 2 days use out of them, and I'm not exactly gentle with the throttle.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't really want tyres I've never heard of tbh. The Nexans blow heh.

Reply to
Iridium

I know what you're saying.

However, AutoItalia have been raving about the Marangoni range for years now and they regularly come near the top of tests in Auto Bild - who do just about the most in-depth tyre tests of any magazine.

Failing that, I can't really recommend anything that comes in Carlos Fandango sizes.

Reply to
SteveH

I ran GS2 s (IIRC the current F1s are GS3) and they were quite good all round but didn't last quite as long as the Toyo T1S that replaced them. The Ibiza is running Stunner Scudo (cheap Michelin brand) and for the cost I can't fault them as they do grip well in the wet and dry but they feel like they are a bit on the hard side, but I think that of Michelin rubber normally.

Reply to
Depresion

Owners Club recommended tyres for my car seem to be Toyo T1Rs or Goodyear Eagle F1s. Apparently the Toyos are grippier but don't last as long and tend to go off a bit once they're at 3-4mm.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I had Marangoni Trios on the Ka. I'd rate them as OK, but not great. Certaintly not the best for the cash.

Reply to
Doki

Good on the golfs the F1s are. IME Uniroyals are the best for wet grip.

Reply to
Doki

Trios are the budget tyre in the range, designed for shopping trolleys.

Reply to
SteveH

I guess I'm giving the F1s a shot then.

Reply to
Iridium

Well, if you're willing to (a) spend more money and (b) have a set for winter Goodyear make a winter tyre in your size - 167 quid from Mytyres. Otherwise I'd go for Conti Sport Contact 3, brilliant steering feel and progressive slip - would avoid snow in them though...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thinking about that, yeah, I'd avoid snow in the Clio V6 without winter tyres - I would be far too tempted to do something silly. :)

Reply to
DervMan

winter tyres up front and summer on the rear could be fun :)

Reply to
Vamp

On a private track.

In winter, it's usually everybody else that scares me. But with that car and that set up, well...

Reply to
DervMan

I'm having Goodyear F1s all round, and using them all winter :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Welsh Winter Meet?

Reply to
DervMan

Knockhill remember ;-)

Reply to
Iridium

I didn't forget, but, Wales too...

Reply to
DervMan

It's gonna cost me several thousand quid in V-Power to get to Knockhill man! I could do without the 700 mile round trip to wales as well ;-)

Reply to
Iridium

lol pussy!

Reply to