Tyres - Any recommendations?

Hi folks,

My 2003 SEAT Toledo 1.9 diesel has just passed its MOT with an advisory that the front tyres are worn down to 2mm.

At just under 26k on the clock I was a bit suprised as, barring mishaps, I have always been able to get 35 - 40k out of my previous cars, which were all petrol driven.

Talking to the garage manager he stated that diesels have a heavier engine block and more torque which make the tyres wear out quicker. (The wear is uniform across both sides so the tracking cannot be causing it).

I was wondering if anybody could suggest a brand of hard wearing tyres that would be more suitable that the originally supplied Continental Eco Contact in order to prolong the life?

I know that sometimes preference is a personal thing but I would be interest in suggestions, specially from diesel owners.

Regards

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Some years ag I had Eco Contacts on my Herald. They wore out faster than any other type of tyre I have ever tried.

The DS runs on Kumhos (because I just can't afford hand made classic Michelins at =80380 each...) and they seem to last fine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I would specifically find out from the tyre manufacturers what are their harder wearing tyres. It might be your current one has better grip and softer compound. And I don't think personally 26k is that bad at all!

Reply to
Matt

If you can post the size of tyre I can give you an idea of cost/value

Reply to
Fred

The DS runs on Kumhos

What's a DS ?

Reply to
Fred

"Fred"

Oh you poor fellow, how empty your life must be.

malc

At the risk of provoking howls of derision from the tyreisti, I ran my diesel Xantia on Ceats from (shock horror, cue fainting) Kwik Fit. They seemed to have reasonable grip and, as I do 20k a year, seemed to last well. They were still on the car and well legal when I sold it over a year after fitting them.

Ok my driving style isn't fling it round the corners and most of the mileage is motorways but I was quite happy with them.

Reply to
malc

Fred (Don' snipped-for-privacy@hidden.co.us) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Very nose-heavy.

Reply to
Adrian

malc ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

When I bought the Xant that my old man's now using, it as on RoadHog KwikShit cheapies. They were *horrible*. I put a set of Avons on, and it transformed the car.

And that was a petrol, which is much less nose-heavy than the diesel.

Reply to
Adrian

Well I guessed at a Citroen but then again he might have been driving a Nintendo.

Reply to
Fred

Without getting into a slanging match you often refer to the cheap Chinese Teflon tyres, well most if not all of the Goodyear Eagle F1's are now made in China. And a lot of Goodyear's are now cheaper to buy than Kumho.

Reply to
Fred

Fred (Don' snipped-for-privacy@hidden.co.us) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You want to produce a MessageID for that, Fred?

Reply to
Adrian

I can't be arsed to look, maybe I am mixing you up with Steve H?

Reply to
Fred

Well I have actually driven one of those many times, I called it the D Special and it was many moons ago. I do remember that the headlights moved with the steering though.

Reply to
Fred

I don't run a tyre business I let my wife do that, but I do own it! Just today we had a customer who had driven (Where possible) from Australia just to buy tyres from us because we are that good!

Reply to
Fred

Fred > fitting business.....

I detect the smell of bullshit here.

Reply to
SteveH

Fred (Don' snipped-for-privacy@hidden.co.us) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I did. Plenty of refs to ElCheapo Teflon, not one for Chinese - because I don't know or care _where_ they're from...

Reply to
Adrian

Wipe your top lip then! I had an Australian bloke call in today who needed 4 tyres as his were worn out, he had called into ATS and whilst they were serving him another customer who we had helped (But we did not have the tyres instock) told him to try us. He rang us and we beat the price he had been quoted so he came to us, he had a big map on the back of his camper showing his route over the last 8 months. I wish his journey had been on Kumho tyres but the were BFG's , still I am part of the 4-site group so it was not a total loss.

Reply to
Fred

So, in fact, he hadn't driven from Australia just for your tyres, then.

It was pure coincidence that someone told him to try you.

Reply to
SteveH