Tyres - Load Rating Question

Hi All

So I'm looking for tyres 205/55 R15 V87 every tyre place has that size but only 88 instead of 87.

Does it make much difference? I want a reasonable brand upto about £100 each or so.

The car handbook and sticker on the door says 87.

Cheers & Thanks!

Reply to
TheKing

try

they have the dunlop sp9000 for 72.90 each.

Reply to
johnbond

Unless your car weighs over 3 tonnes, which I doubt it does with that=20 tyre size, it's a non issue.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

TheKing ( snipped-for-privacy@TheKing.Com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

88 (560kg) is a higher load rating than 87 (545kg), so they'll be fine. 87's the minimum.
Adrian

In normal day-to-day driving, it should make no difference whatsoever. Both tyres are probably well with in the maximum loading you will ever subject them to.

However ... if the worst came to the worst, and you had an accident, your insurance company could use the fact that the tyres were not as specified by the car manufacturer as an excuse to invalidate your insurance.

Of course, car insurance companies are pimples on the bottom of capitalism.

----------------------------------

Not so much a lounge-room lizard, more a toilet duck ...

Reply to
Stephen Leak

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How many tyres on the car...?

545kg per tyre - 2180kg total laden, assuming perfect weight distribution...

Assume 500kg payload, that's 1680kg unladen - not exactly impossible these days. Current shape Golf R32's 1620kg.

Reply to
Adrian

OK thanks, I spent most of the afternoon at work calling every tyre place for miles, none had the right size with 87.

The car is the older 2.0 94-99 Celica so yeah its pretty heavy car I guess.

Another question! Brakes - I won't be changing them myself, so with that in mind. Where does everyone recommend, local garage, main dealer, one of the tyres places etc. I'm not sure where to go...

Do you always have to have the brake fluid replaced as well - genuine question as I'm not sure.

Does the quality of parts differ much - or does everyone just use the cheappo brands?

Cheers

Reply to
TheKing

I use a local garage which was reccomeneded by a friend. Main dealer will usually charge more. Kwik fit and the like are usually a bit dear. Try a local garage.

Usually changed every 2 years.

I use decent stuff, not worth being cheap when it comes to something as vital as brakes.

No problem.

Reply to
johnbond

I am able to give a rather more positive reply than my last one ...

Good old National Tyres. I have recently been quoted =A327.00 (all in) for a brake fluid change, approx. =A352.00 (all in) for front pads and approx. =A359.00 (all in) for rear shoes. There is also currently a 10% discount for using their online booking system (which works very well).

As others have said, you don't **** about whan it comes to things like brakes, steering and tyres - they usually don't give you second chances!

One ring spanner to rule them all, One ring spanner to find them. One ring spanner to bring them all=20 and in the darkness bind them.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

I am able to give a rather more positive reply than my last one ...

Good old National Tyres. I have recently been quoted =A327.00 (all in) for a brake fluid change, approx. =A352.00 (all in) for front pads and approx. =A359.00 (all in) for rear shoes. There is also currently a 10% discount for using their online booking system (which works very well).

As others have said, you don't **** about whan it comes to things like brakes, steering and tyres - they usually don't give you second chances!

One ring spanner to rule them all, One ring spanner to find them. One ring spanner to bring them all=20 and in the darkness bind them.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

Thanks

I really meant the garage or whoever, how do I know what they will fit - its not like buying a TV I can't compare brake brands, because I don't know anything about them.

I was just guessing to keep quote and prices down they fit whatever is cheapest - I'm sure I can't be wrong thinking that?

Do I request a specific brand, I mean its a fairly fast-ish car, I'm not worried about the cost to be honest. I'd kind of decided to use the main dealer, but I will compare with the local garage and ask which brand they use.

It was MOT'd about a month ago, with the only comment that the pads front & rear will need replacing "soon"

Regards

Reply to
TheKing

TheKing wrote>

Do I request a specific brand, I mean its a fairly fast-ish car, I'm not

I see your point - its not like buying tyres, where you choose the make, etc. .

You can always ask them what brand of fluid they use - they probably do it cheap because they get the stuff in bulk. As long as it meets (or probably now exceeds) the car manufacturer's spec' - its usually somewhere in the technical specs in the handbook - it will do its job.

I am quite looking forward to taking mine to National for its brake fluid change. I know they only do these cheap as a "footfall offer" to get a look at your tyres to sell you some new ones - however, my fronts are new with 9 mm of tread and even the old rears have 4.5/5 mm on them!

One ring spanner to rule them all, One ring spanner to find them. One ring spanner to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

I do 'em myself. I resent paying an arm and a leg just for some grease monkey to balls it up. Brakes are like crucifixion - it's a doddle. :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego