V4 Engines

Anything worth thinking about for a project ?

Or are they all crap and thrown away years ago , looking for a rear wheel drive one. Anyone here know anything about them ?

Thanks

Reply to
BORG

Apparently the Lancia one is alright. The Ford one runs like s**te IIRC. Unless there are compelling reasons, I'd go for an I4 or Subaru flat 5 (or a modern VW water flat4). You've got a chance of getting some power then.

Reply to
Doki

VFR?

Reply to
Burgerman

As I understand it the german Ford TaunusV4 is totally different and far better than the british Ford V4, I know the german one is surprisingly smooth in it's Saab 96 setting. I'd guess that Ford used this engine with the rear wheels

Copy 'Ford Taunus V4 engine' into here:

, interesting that as it was developed into the cologne V6 there is still taunus V4 dna in the current Mondeo Duratec

Reply to
Ken

Flat 5?

How does that work, then? :-P

Reply to
SteveH

Good call. They sound lovely on race cans and are utterly bombproof.

Reply to
SteveH

In all seriousness, if such a thing does exist, it's probably not far off the V5 engine as used in the Mk4 Golf, except squashed a bit.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Or an old Citroen GS flat-4? I've two 1300cc ones in my garage that need a rebuild...

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

They said that about the V5...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or one the big "custom" bike V4 engines.

Or 2 V twins coupled at 180 degrees. Like 2 115bhp 1.13L 9000rpm Harley Revolution (it's got some connection to Porsche).

then you have about 230bhp from a 2.26L 60° V4 which is about sameas vaporware Cosworth kit 3 on a 2.3L Ford.http://www.cosworth.com/content.php?pageid=3&contentid=58 Hell at 115bhp out of the box it's better than both of the Fords and the Lancia V4 car engines. How about a rebirth of the old Cooper 500 cars for formula 500 using these? Formula 1130?

Reply to
Peter Hill
[...]

Like a Spagthorpe flat 7 mostly...