Insurance write off claim.

Has anyone have any serious tips on how to claim a bit more money from the insurance company for the car after they have said it is a write off. How is the rate calculated. The car is 8 yrs old, but faultless apart from the damage caused by a land Rover reversing onto the bonnet. (see earlier post ' Renault Laguna body parts needed').

TIA

Reply to
Merlin

They probably use Glasses Guide, and will propose the bottom book value. That gives you a bit of room to negotiate if it's in specially good condition, low mileage and has some extras above the basic model. Might squeeze another £100 out of them. Accept the best value and negotiate to buy the wreck if it's still driveable and legal. That might be the £100 well spent. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Conventional wisdom says refuse the first 2 offers, the 3rd one will be their maximum. Having said that the last 2 times I've accepted the 1st offer as it seemed more than reasonable, I think the Ins Cos may have decided it's cheaper to offer the right amount first than having staff tied up arguing the toss over 100quid.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I've never understood as a third party *why* you have to take what they think is the value of the car. You are entitled to be placed in the position you are in before the accident, so if they means that they have to buy all these bits and stick them on, so be it. It is after all the correct way to leaving *most* of your car intact, rather than exchanging the entire thing which is what they propose when you have the entire car written off.

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from "Merlin" contains these words:

Yes - reject their first offer.

Reply to
Guy King

Unless it's £2500 for an N reg Corsa.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Now, you see, that's the trouble with usenet. You have a bright idea and some sod comes along and pokes gaping holes in it!

Reply to
Guy King