VW engine type gurus

My Golf has a 1.6 AFT in it - it says so on the cam cover.

Were I to consider an exchange engine, what fits where an AFT fits. Doesn't have to be a 1.6 neccesarily :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Put a V6 init it you know you want the growl!!

Although If I were you I'd sell it and buy a faster car as insurance might get a bit silly ? ... be easier aswell :) probly cheaper int he long run too.

Reply to
Sarah

Heh. I wonder if he could just run the LPG kit he's got on 4 of the cylinders to save fuel.

Heheh, well done on quoting the standard uk.rec.cars.modifications answer. (c:

Perhaps you are right, but I have it on good authority that Bob is the original ebay bargain engine hunter, is on his way to being a giffer so won't have too much bother with insurance, is reasonably spanner competent and has access to some engineering aquaintances to whom an engine swap is something that happens in an afternoon.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Practically any VW engine upto and including an R36 from a Passat will fit.

Reply to
Homer

"Homer" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Find a bent Phaeton/Toerag V10 TDi...?

Reply to
Adrian

I happen to have heard similar things. I think Bob should find the biggest engine he can :-) Or at least the 150bhp 2.0 16v from the Golf Mk3 GTi...?

Reply to
DanB

And if not, settle on a 6.0 W12? Do you think it would upset the balance?

Reply to
DanB

I'm talking the bare engine here. I would want to use my existing management and inlet / exhaust manifolds. Is there a larger 4 cylinder crossflow head engine that fits where an AFt used to live ?

Fueling isn't a problem, I can map more gas in.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I really hope you don't mean the Laird of Drumclog...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

The shell is wobbly enough as it is...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

LPG conversion sounds good, no doubt the gov will soon tax the danglies off that aswell soon.

Shows I've been hanging around here too long :)

Reply to
Sarah

It's ok, the engine would fill most of it and stiffen it up :-)

Reply to
DanB

Depends if he wants to keep the gearbox as well.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That I would definitely want to do. A sensible increase in torque would be all I wanted really. A 2.0 8 valve engine would be great if that were possible.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've been hearing that for about 10 years now. I might even have said it a few times.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Probably not, I did say upto the R36.

Reply to
Homer

only if you don't put one in the back too.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tim S Kemp

I was assuming by an exchange engine it had to go in place of the old one.

Reply to
Homer

Yep.

Reply to