vw project specimens

Hi,

thinking of getting vw golf of some breed for a little pet project. I'm new to this but want to have a try in doing a few upgrades mods ... I'm not sure if i'm looking in the right place but i started with autotrader (any other suggestions for wherer to look would be nice) and found these : I know its hard to say without giving it the once over but thoughts welcomed on the adverts.

opinions welcomed.

VOLKSWAGEN Golf GTI MK2 8 valve, H reg. Black, 20,000 miles on reconditioned engine + gearbox, 4 new tyres, 12 months MoT, central locking, s/r, cd player, vgc. £1,150. ono

1991VOLKSWAGEN Golf GTi 8V, J reg. 84000 miles, 5 door, black, power steering, sunroof, central locking, alloy wheels, radio cassette, standard car apart from alloys, vgc, 1 year MoT. £1,150. Classic Cars
What are common problems with these cars and at this millage? can I expect to find or should look for? any general advice on what to look for when buying a car. I read a few guides the one on the rac site was pretty good.

these are the only 2 that took my fancy. I have to be honest I don't quite know what I'm getting into or what I'm looking for but I do know I like these type of vw's the old style ones. I'm starting a auto-technician course soon and should help get me some basic knowledge and hope this is a nice little project for me to work on. I thougth I would ask for a little advice tips from here as I read it daily. I hold my hands up in being a absolute novice and chuck myself down on your mechcanical knowledge.

Anyways I'll stop rambling and click post.

Cheers

Reply to
mocha

The picture for the second car is

mocha

Buggered MFAs are a pain (trip computer thingy). People messing with the injection and cocking it up resulting in no go and horrible fuel consumption. Fuel injection system warm up valves etc. all need to function - check the engine's cold before you start it, and check the engine oil temp as soon as you have it running - should display as two dashes. If it's warm, the owner's started it before you arrived. The idle should drop to around 950rpm as the car heats up. Torn seats are pretty much de rigeur and are expensive to replace. Leather recaros are worth lots, but a good standard interior isn't cheap either. My 113 thousand mile car has untorn seats and firm cushions, so I reckon stuff with torn seats at similar mileage is likely to be clocked or not taken good care of.

Go to matey-matey.com, they have a pretty comprehensive buyers guide.

These cars don't rust badly, but they do rust a bit, so check them over (under big bumpers, bottom of windscreen, tailgate, door bottoms). BBS alloys are worth having (300 quid a set in good nick), PAS and electric windows + central locking are the most desirable cars. 16V is quicker but not as pleasant to drive steadily, and is obviously thirstier. When you test drive the car, put the MFA stalk into position 2. Then cycle through the options until you're on MPG - should be above 30 for an 8v (I get 35 and drive quickly on relatively short journeys), and shouldn't have been reset recently. If it's been reset recently the owner doesn't want you to know that it's been doing short town runs or being ragged to hell and back. A good late big bumper car with all the kit

Reply to
Doki

Hi

thanks for the reply.

Making notes of all that. Just had a read of the matey matey site very good and edtailed just what I was after.

Cheers

Reply to
mocha