Bangernomics - next buy.

My current 416GSi will be heading for the scrappie this year.

5 years and 60k miles for =A3425 isn't bad IMHO, but it's looking shabby and rust is setting in so time to scrap it and start again.

Priorities are:

Minimum servicing/maintainence A modicum of performance No catylist Effortless motorway performance Easy to work on Ideally should cope with a roof rack Space for camping gear Cheap and plentiful parts availability It would be nice (but not essential) to feel some enthusiasm for the car.

As you can see from my shortlist I'm prepared to compromise on almost everything.

Here are my thoughts/comments: Another (tidier) Rover 416 - nuff said MkII Golf GTi - Seems to totally fit the bill. Practical, cheap and easy to work on. Are the shells prone to rust at the ages I'm talking about?

205 GTi. Caterham/Westfield - Perfect, but zero weather protection - is there any way at all one of these could be all year round transport? Porche 911 - Ok, so the initial purchase cost is going to be astronomical. However am I right in thinking this will be bulletproof reliable transport easy for home maintainence and practical as transport. Were they all galvanized?

Any cunning suggestions?

Reply to
toad

toad (toad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So diesel or at least 14 years old already.

Question - why not...?

Reply to
Adrian
5 years and 60k miles for £425 isn't bad IMHO, but it's looking shabby and rust is setting in so time to scrap it and start again.

[...]

Pre 1992 2.0L (8-valve) Cavalier.

JB

Reply to
JB

My current 416GSi will be heading for the scrappie this year.

----------------------------------

I have a Honda engined 216GSi needing an engine. Is it manual or auto? Either way it's not too much of an issue.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

JB ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

It's a manual. Funnily enough the engine is the one thing on the car that is still pristine. 165k miles. Loses no oil at all, loses no water.

Reply to
toad

If you're gonna be killing it soon, how much would sir want for the engine, less of any loom, gearbox or ancillaries?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Purely fear of harsher emissions testing. Presumably if a later engine fitted with a cat must be in tip top running order or it will fail - without cat theres some leeway? Is that a false assumption?

If the feeling is that a cat isn't a problem a 3 year old Mondeo from an auction would seem to offer good value.

Reply to
toad

Nice idea. Non interference engine as well. No need to worry about new Cambelt.

Reply to
toad

toad (toad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Pretty much, yes.

Don't forget that a catted car will tune itself to a certain degree - as long as everything works, the lambda will alter the mixture to keep it clean. Closed-loop fuelling is actually the best thing about a catted car - the cat itself is a hideous bodge, which nobody would actually miss much...

OTOH, start looking TOO new, and you get into that whole can of worms that is far too much electrickery...

Mid-late 90s is about right, IMHO.

Reply to
Adrian

I suspect it won't be soon enough for you 'cos theres a few months of MOT left which I will use but when it goes you can have the whole car for nowt as long as you sign the logbook transfer of ownership thing. Saves me the =A3140 the scrappie charges to take it off my hands.

Reply to
toad

toad (toad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Your scrappy's ripping you off. Dead cars are worth about £50 these days - scrap value's rocketed from where it was a couple of years ago. We're back to the good ol' days of pikeys nicking 'em rather than dumping 'em.

Reply to
Adrian

I hadn't realized. Last time I scrapped one was 5 years ago for =A3140. This is good news. Sandy nuts aint gonna be too happy with you though!

Reply to
toad

toad (toad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

Popular with the bad boys in school, then?

(back of the bin sheds, now!)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I hadn't realized. Last time I scrapped one was 5 years ago for £140. This is good news. Sandy nuts aint gonna be too happy with you though!

-----------------------------------

LOL. To be honest, not too bothered. I was given an old 216GSi (H plate) with a goosed head gasket. I was going to do the HG on it but the head is warped, cracked and I can't be arsed sourcing an individual head. Plus, the engine has been run with water in the oil for too long, so I'm not too confident in the condition of the mains and big ends.

I wasn't expecting it for nout, so name a price.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The price will be whatever my local scrappie pays out.

I think the problem's going to be timing. I'm half looking for a replacement car now but I doubt I'll be ready to scrap the Rover for 6 months or so. If you can wait I'd recommend the engine. It's sweet as a nut and it would please me greatly to see it kept out of the clutches of the scrappie - in contrast the shell and body work are pretty poor.

Reply to
toad

No problem. The car I have is garaged anyway, so it's in no rush to move. If you're a regular here keep this thread watched, as will I, and if I find anything beforehand I'll let you know.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Not much point in your priority list, is there?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

I am selling a old e reg polo with 10 months mot on it :-) any rust spots i found i have cleared and undersealed . it passed mot with no jobs.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet