Cars Bought And Sold in 2006 ?

Confession time.

What's left and what's come in ?

Me.

Sold - GTM Rossa K3, Audi 80 TDI

Bought - Sylva Leader, Golf 3 1/2 Cabrio, 0.5 of a Saab 9000. Nearly forgot - a transporter for the Sylva, seeing as it is a track only car.

Think I like the Saab best as it was cheapest and all the bargaining points were easily fixed. Will forever miss the Audi though. France to central Scotland on a tank of fuel at 85mph.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

What does "Golf 3 1/2 Cabrio" mean?

Is it a Mk3 Golf with half the roof missing, or a Mk1/2 Cabriolet (which were pretty much the same bar a facelift, well they were all Mk1s, but later ones had a Mk2 front end) with an added "3" for good measure?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Gone.

The Elk. V reg A170 CDi Elegance auto.

Arrived, ish, but never made it home, 03 plate W211 E270CDi Classic SE. Awaiting insurance decisions.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

IIRC the mk 4 cabrio was a mk 3 with a mk 4 front end, hence "mark three and a half"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Because the mark four Golf convertible is really a mark three with mark four lights...

Reply to
DervMan

I swapped the '99 Accord for the '00 Saab 9-3. I miss the VTEC engine note and electric sunroof but that's about it. I enjoy the 9-3's range, seat comfort and sniffing my fingers after I fill up.

Reply to
DervMan

Sold: 1989 BX GTi

Aquired: 1998 Peugeot 306 Diesel, 1993 VW 1.0 Polo

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Bit like with the later Mk1 Cabriolets then.

IOW they skipped a generation on the cabriolet model and *still* ended up a generation behind.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Went: Saab 900 T16S convertible with A pillar rust issues and a leaky roof (still miss it) Arrived: Octavia GLXi 2.0 boring, newish, reliable but economical. Never a had a car like that before. I don't like it, don't know if I want another like it again.

Need something fun, reliable, but needs fettling, not fixing.

Reply to
Elder

I saw it as more of an attempt to make it look vaguely like the current proper Golf - to a blind man running for a bus.

Anyway - I still bought it. It's no sportscar by any stretch of the imagination, but it is fun and does all it needs to.

Anyway - as others have said. A Golf MKIV Cabrio is identical to a MKIII apart from about the first 9 inches back. And it has blue dash lighting....

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Sold - Rover 620 to my Bro for a nice profit. Capri 2.8i Special for what I paid for it as the rear end turned out to be rotten as a dog.

Bought - Capri Laser. Used money from above to respray it.

Reply to
Conor

Similar with Capris. There isn't actually such a thing as a MK3 Capri but just a facelift MK2 which had different grille,lights,bumpers and on some variants an additional boot spoiler.

Reply to
Conor

You mean like the MkV Cortina was a MkIV facelift and the MkIV Escort was a Mk III Facelift.....

Then there was the MkIII.5 Fiesta.

Reply to
SteveH

I still can't believe you made a profit out of your brother.

I've offered to *give* my brother cheap, unwanted cars in the past.

Reply to
SteveH

You said recently you needed comfortable. You say you need reliable. You say you need fun:- bhp=fun - turbos=bhp. You also seem to like Saabs. Can you see where this is going ?

Besides, if you buy another Saab, there are no negative associations like you get with practically every other marque.

I would say 9000 CDE, obviously add a full power ECU like wot we're going to do, but that's up to you.

Anyway - I'm convinced and I know what everyone was going on about now.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Does it have a soft-touch dashboard?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not even remotely.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

But it is based on the Golf platform, which means it is a devastatingly effective cross-country weapon.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Can't be any good, then.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes - in a wobbletastic fashion.

P.S. Seriously tempted by a number plate available on the DVLA website for

250 quid all in. S400GLY with the 4 munged a bit to look like an H

If you don't live in Scotland, this means nothing to you, as the verb to Shoogle is only applicable north of the border. Anyway, this would be a stunningly appropriate number plate for a car with this level of scuttle shake.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle