What is the best car you've seen used as a taxi?

Chrysler 300c - black, 06 Reg, Hack plate Spotted in South Shields Tyne & Wear

I can't wait to get in it and ask him why the f*ck he paid £25k+ for a car to pick drunks up!!

Reply to
Me

I dunno theres a few tidy uns hiding among the octavias and 406's up here in Glasgow

most notably a split new merc and a jag x type, Mate of mine also taxis a vectra sri

Reply to
Rob

That's not even a good car.

Reply to
Depresion

In hull? Volvo S80 D5 brand new a couple of years ago. Citroen C5 is the popular choice (as they are dirt cheap after a couple of years of fleet use) here. Rover 75 diesels are big time popular too.

25k for a car to pick drunks up? If you're gonna spend all your working time in a car it needs to be comfortable, also you need a boot big enough for a wheelchair and some luggage, so it makes sense, especially if he does aiport runs.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's an OK car, I thought about one for a while - cheap alternative to an E class / 5 series but memories of running a Neon put me off having anything that needed me to deal with the local Chrysler dealer again.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've been in a rather quick Audi A4 with tiptronic gears and 18"s as a taxi and some pretty new E Class mercs when I lived in Aberdeen.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I hear some people use BFO Lincoln Town Cars with V8 engines that do about

10mpg on a good day, as taxis.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've seen a V8 SS commodore on gas as a taxi here. Must of still cost them a bomb in fuel. The owner said it was worth it just to have the extra power when he needed it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

BMW 740i Not an ancient one either. Couple of years old at the most. This was in a fairly affluent area right enough. Maybe there's plenty of work for a decent car.

There are also a couple of E class Mercedes around here as well. Oil burners though.

Where I work, it's Octavia SDI central. Although now a few of them are using Superb TDIs as well. Bit of a no brainer I guess.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

There's a lot of quite flashy cars used as taxis on the Channel Islands.

Last one I used was a new shape (Bangleised) 5-series. V8 petrol, too.

Commented on it - the driver said he'd been driving black cabs in London all his life and fancied something special and comfortable now he was semi-retired.

Reply to
SteveH

V8 petrol 5 series, HOW MANY MPG???????

as resident group taxi driver I have to say octavias and superbs are the way to go. the biggest mistake peugeot made was canning the 406, be honest how many 407's do you see out there?

Out of interest me and fellow taxi driver Mrs Rob are looking at the possibility of a new taxi in the summer

Octavia VRS diesel with remap. 200 horse taxi wagon :)

Reply to
Rob

Doesn't matter out there. Everywhere you go is never more than a few miles and fuel is cheap.

Reply to
SteveH

Locally, (Thurrock) a new X-Type diesel & a Lexus LS 400! otherwise, the usual crop of Skoda's Vectra's, & Mondeo's.

DC

Reply to
DavidC

The 300C is essentially and old Merc E-class with a new skin. The diesel version is one of the slowest depreciating vehicles sold in the UK. So it makes sense to run one as a taxi since the E-class was designed to be a taxi.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But surely it makes more sense to buy a low mileage 3 year old one for about half the original price!

Reply to
Where's Ken Gone??

I quite like 'em. Don't they do one with a HEMI in?

Reply to
Abo

That was the /other/ reason not to - I pay for my own fuel.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Comfy though, and drive nice on the motorway. The latter not a taxi essential I'm guessing.

Reply to
Abo

Yes. Some do.

Reply to
DervMan

I'll be having one in Florida in June. (Well, a Magnum or a Charger actually - same thing really).

Hope that has a Hemi - I imagine it will be a 3.5V6 though.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle