Where can I find Car Modding regulations?

Where can I find out what I am legally allowed to modify regarding chassis and engine, such as moving the engine from the front to the rear of the car?

Cheers

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

At the moment, anything goes as long as it passes an MOT. If you are building a kitcar and it involves any modification to the chassis or monocoque of the donor, you need an SVA.

As long as the chassis/engine number match up, it is still the same vehicle isn't it.

Reply to
Elder

Let me tell you, there's a lot of work in that.

Reply to
Depresion

Radically altered need an SVA too.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

This covers vehicles which are substantially altered from their original specification, but which are not kit conversions. In these cases the vehicle components used from the original vehicle will be given a numerical value and, in order to retain the original registration mark the vehicle must score eight or more points. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an ESVA/SVA/MSVA certificate will be required to register the vehicle and a 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated. The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

Chassis/body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque)* (original or new)=5 Suspension=2 Axles=2 Transmission=2 Steering Assembly=2 Engine=1

*Direct replacement from the manufactures

Depresion

We've been given an old Reliant Robin with MOT but knackered engine, and my brother's got a very bent CBR600 with a good engineand gearbox. From what we've measured and drawn up, it wouldn't be too much work (this is a car with a fibreglass floor and ladder frame chassis) to rear mount the CBR motor where the rear seat is and have it drive the rear axle via a short chain drive to a fabricated adaptor on the diff.Remove the engine from the front and but ballast down low to keep the front end stable. It would be interesting. We've got the bits and some time.

I have no idea if it's legal. I know it wouldn't be safe. I know it's totally and utterly pointless.

It'd be fun though, in a straight line at least!

cheers Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Ebay the 600 hoover motor and find an old oil cooled gsxr 1100 motor. Fit a cheap old rayjay T4 draw through turbo kit from mr turbo and you have

300bhp even before you fit the nitrous. Thatlgogood in a plastic pig! And it weighs bugger all.
Reply to
Burgerman

I really don't understand where the line is with this. New chassis legs as part of an insurance repair? New quarter panel using pattern panels? New boot floor from a different version of the same car?

New springs and dampers? Entire new pattern parts? Adjustable top mounts? Or considerable changes to the construction and design of the suspension?

Reply to
Doki

I am interested in where the line is drawn on this sort of thing for my mk1 AH sprite (frogeye). Strictly the chassis is altered with the addition of a roll bar, additional suspension pick-ups for a watts linkage, and some other items like telescopic dampers. Suspension mods have been made, later disc brakes (common period mod bolts straight on from later cars with change of stub axle and kingpin) . Changed to later engine and gearbox. I reckon 2 points for steering. All this was done in the late 1980s and had no effect on the identity, a number of the bits already being on the car when the DVLA checked it for re-registration. Normally legislation isn't retrospective but how these new regs apply to cars that were modified before the laws existed is something no one I have spoken to can tell me. Many historically modified vehicles could fall foul of the regs if strictly applied. A guy I spoke to at the SVA centre said the mods sounded normal for the sort of car and wouldn't require an SVA in his opinion but it wasn't his decision if it required one, that was for VOSA IIRC.

Reply to
David Billington

If chassis is registered, you have or can get log book and chassis number is still intact it don't need registering. Just get an MOT!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++ Only if making it from scrap car(s) that had been declared scrap would you need to register it and could want to keep original mark.

You would think that taking a Punto and fitting a Cossie in the boot on a Ford front subframe would be a radically modified vehicle.

"altered monocoque bodyshell" it's been well hacked around to get the Ford subframe and suspension in the back, 0 points. Suspension, rear made by Ford. 0 points. Axles, rear made by Ford. 0 points. Transmission, made by Ford. 0 points. Steering Assembly, stock = 2 points Engine, ford cossie = 0 total = 2 points. Needs SVA.

But it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Cutting a FWD car up to stick an engine and subframe in the back is OK and loses no points. Cutting roof off or welding hatch shut or 4 door to 2 door are radical mods. Log book now says cabriolet or 2 door instead of 3/4 door.

Suspension, fitting coilovers no points lost. Not too sure just how you can lose these points short of going for a completely rigid job by fitting solid bars.

Fitting hubs and axles from another car doesn't lose axle 2 points. Eg Jag IRS or 5 link rear end OK no points lost. You have to change the wheelplan eg 2 axle rigid to 3 axle or articulate it. Turn it into a tracked vehicle.

Transmission. Fitting a non standard gearbox, no points lost. Convert from manual to auto or other way, has to go on log book and you lose the points.

Steering. Whatever like suspension. Maybe something like putting a steering linkage from steering wheel to the rear wheels or using slewing/fiddler brakes instead (not just auxiliary). Maybe convert 2 axle to 3 axle with 2 steered front axles like Lady Penelope's Roller.

Engine. Different engine number has to go on log book so you lose points.

Lets reappraise the RWD Cossie Punto. "original" monocoque bodyshell, number as per log book, still looks the same outline and has same number of doors (even though one is now rear engine cover), 8 points. Suspension, present on all corners. 2 points. Axles, still 2 axle rigid body. 2 points. Transmission, still manual. 2 points. Steering Assembly, steering and linkage still to front wheels =2 Engine, ford cossie = 0 total = 16 points. NO need for SVA.

Reply to
Peter Hill

That's the logic I'm trying to use on my Polo, I hope I get away with it. new engine number and size and prey they don't look too close.

Reply to
Depresion

Going off that list I don't think there would be a need to SVA the Robin either. It's only the engine and gearbox essentially that will be changed.

Thanks!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P