Who's driven on the M1 round Leeds recently ?

I was round that way a few weeks back, on the "new" bit of M1. There's some loops in the road (look a bit like the pressure thingies that operate traffic lights) every so often, and each one has a small white "camera" pointed straight at them from a gantry. It's to the side of the loop though (not in front or behind) so if it snaps your car when you cross the loop, then it could surely only see the roof ?

What the hell are they ?

Reply to
Nom

"Nom" wrote>

I've seen similar cameras to the ones you describe on the M69 and M6. (I've only driven twice on that bit of M1 near Leeds so haven't noticed them).

I can only guess that they are Trafficmaster type thingies or perhaps Tax Disc cameras? They might not just see the roof, they might get a good view of your windscreen...

I used to think they were SPECS type speed cameras but they aren't. Unless they don't mind people doing three figure speeds on the M69 ;)

I have travelled at 140mph (indicated) on the M69 (my friend's car, he was driving - no car I've owned so far would do an indicated 140!) and we overtook two other cars who were obviously having a little race :) When we got back down to 70mph it felt so, so slow. That was in a 2 litre Normally Aspirated car by the way! I've experienced an indicated 150mph in the turbo version of the same car on the M1... same nutter driving it.

Reply to
fishman

I've hit an indicated 140 in my 1.8 :) my 2.6 took longer to get there which is wierd, i seen about 142 in the old Audi, and your right, 70mph feels like you have stopped after.

Maybe somthing about those cams here

Ronny

^^ whoops, thats for the south west :( still never know

Reply to
Ronny

"Ronny" wrote

Heh "casualties down on all roads by 5.7%" and a picture of a speed camera. Revenue up by 3000% ?

Sorry Nom I've again thrown your OP way off topic.

What ARE those cameras on the M1 near Leeds?

Reply to
fishman

Traffic flow.

They enable the control centre to automatically detect how fast (or not) the traffic is going whilst the white cameras are CCTV so that control can have a look to see what the problem is.

Take a look at the highways agency website for more info.

Reply to
Networkguy

i've had an indicated 145mph out of mine on the nice smooth part of the A130 where you can see really far ahead. made sure no bastard was standing close to the roundabout with a speed gun before i nailed it mind :)

the MR2 felt really stable at that speed, the only thing i hated was the ripples in the road! they really slam you up and down at that speed. the suspension coped well though and kept the wheel on the road, i slowed down as a) it got scary seeing cars ahead and b) the roundabout for the A12 wasn't all that far in front anymore :)

toyota recomend a crusing speed of 130mph as this keeps the turbo off boost and avoids it getting to hot.

i've seen vid clips of MR2 turbo's round a track hit an indicated 165mph :)

Reply to
Vamp

Think you will find the reason for not exceeding 130 mph for long periods is due to prolonged heat build up, your turbo will be working at @

Reply to
Ronny

No no, these aren't the large pole-mounted CCTV cams like you get on the rest of the M1. The little white camera is a lot smaller, and only maybe 3 metres or so from the road-loop it's pointing at - it looks like it only has a very small field-of-vision, basically limited to the roof of each car passing the loop ? They're mounted on the gantry-poles in the central reservation, directly to the side of each loop, pointing down at a 45degree angle.

Reply to
Nom

comes in at 3k RPM and yeah it's de-restricted when it got the speedo converted to mph :)

Reply to
Vamp

Thats not quite true, Its increased by 1.6x the origional value (approx) its still there you just cannot reach it :)

Reply to
Ed

Except your Turbo only makes boost when the engine is under load, irrespective of your current rpm.

It's perfectly possible to drive along at 5000rpm and remain off boost ! It will infact only come on-boost, if you plant the loud pedal way down.

The 130mph figure will come from the fact that you can probably make enough power to overcome wind-resistance, without making any boost - so the blower isn't doing much.

But it may well require some boost to overcome wind-resistance at 140mph - so it's not a speed you can reach, whilst off-boost.

Reply to
Nom

"Nom" wrote

My Dedra could max out at 90mph off boost.

On the many occasions when either my wastegate actuator became detached or the intercooler blew, the har had loads of torque up to about 2000-2500rpm and would then just die. It was scary on motorway sliproads and was probably slower than my Micra.

When the intercooler blew, the turbo was obviously still spinning, but blowing air straight to atmosphere. Made a fantastic noise like a Tie-fighter! Of course there was no air filtration going into the engine (apart from the intercooler itself!)

Reply to
fishman

well yes if you wanna be techy bout it, it converts the 180km/h limit to

180mph :) and as the car can't do 180mph on a standard gear box it's pretty much removed huh!
Reply to
Vamp