Spotted going North on the M1...FAST - What where they???

5 x Army 90 / 110 rag tops travelling north on the M1 today. In convoy doin between 80mph and 90mph.

Fuel tank to the rear between the chassis rails (TD5??). Exhaust poking out behind the NS rear wheel.

2" Lift all-round I think. Certainly higher than standard vehicles.

That strange air intake thing like the Wolves have.

Strange rear axle. Not Sailsbury, more akin to the normal Defender axle but from the bottom of the diff pan to the left hand stub (looking from behind) was a straight line?

I am more used to seeing army Defenders moving at about 50mph... These were quick even by normal Defender standards.

Any ideas what would be powering them? I didnt think they used TD5's so would it be 300Tdi?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

recce.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

They would have been standard wolves, they always seem to go everywhere at 80mph. They have a reinforced back axle similar to the P38 range rover (as do civvy 130s now) and sit higher at the back than older

90/110s. Engine is a 300tdi. Military 110s have always had rear fuel tanks.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA Medway Military Vehicle Group
sean101ryan

Don't all 110s? I know mine does, it even leaks a bit if I park the truck nose-up.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , Jon writes

Sounds like a bog standard wolf to me

Reply to
Marc Draper

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:14:02 +0000, Jon scribbled the following nonsense:

Wolf, when I was in the TA, we used to squeeze 6 in the back and a front passenger, me driving, a sankey full of kit, and it would pull to well beyond 80.

All drivers had to be familiarised with the vehicles because of the high speed, power steering etc. Quite a few were smashed up when first introduced because of their performance.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Jon came up with the following;:

There was also a convoy of them going South on the A614 earlier today.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I have a smidgin of sympathy for the US armed forces, having to make do with the Hummer.

Perhaps we should send them care packages. Land Rover magazines, Whitworth-thread fastenings, oily rags, even tubes of swivel grease?

Reply to
David G. Bell