Woohoo new laptop.

Ah yeah.

Reply to
Elder

:-)

the Golf II thing- When a non-techy colleague saw my (then nearly new) x60s he thought it was ancient. They are not for the style-concious, but they work. Another non-techy colleague has the reputation of breaking every piece of tech he has, but his x61s is just a little battle scarred but working well after 2 years of very hard use and worldwide travel.

I can say without a doubt it's the best laptop I've used. Quick enough, durable (it gets dropped, bounced about in the car, and dragged around server rooms, and still looks OK, and is 100% reliable.

I'm typing this on an ancient Dell- my own PC, which has lasted 5-6 years with just a battery and PSU, but then again it rarely leaves my living room.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

We used T42s in my last job.

In terms of laptops, all I can compare them to is old school Mac Powerbooks - but with a twist of pre-Sony Ericsson in there.

Absolutely rock solid metal chassis, anything that can be damaged is designed to be replacable and the metal hinges mean you can never really drop them in such a way they'll break.

Mine stood up to nearly 3 years of serious abuse, but still looked professional and tidy the day I handed it back.

It was so good, I tried to buy it off them, but, despite Germany saying yes, and even agreeing a price, the UK IT people said no.

Reply to
SteveH

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:30:06 +0100, SteveH spouted forth:

I'm using a T43 now. Great laptop, had it years now and it's never gone wrong. All I've done is upgrade it to 2GB of RAM. It's been all over the place in the back of the car and even in a suitcase to Brazil. Still looks like new. The T61/X61 machines I rolled out before I got made redundant seemed pretty well built too.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Seconded. This (IBM branded) one'll be 5 years old in October and will have been my general everyday computer during that time.

Reply to
Douglas Payne