'03 power window problem

Driver's side door window in '03 Cobra vert stopped working (down position, of course). Checked fuses and relays, all OK. Pulled the trim off and peeled back the weatherproofing to see if something had come loose, but the mechanism is all intact, everything is in it's rails with no sign of any damage to anything mechanical. Disconnected the electrical connector to the the regulator motor and the switch is delivering +12V in one position and -12V in the opposite position. Directly connected battery to motor leads (reverse polarity too) but no joy. Can't put enough leverage on the window to move it up without fear of breaking it. The manual says to drill out the rivets in the botttom of the frame to lift the window out and get to the regulator, but I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve drills and re-riveting!

Searching the NG doesn't provide any relief. Any help greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Rick Olive

If the motor is pooched and you don't want to drill, I suggest minimum 6 mil poly vapour barrier and duct tape.

This isn't a tough job if you allow the time and work purposefully and carefully.... There is no need to "force" anything - if you feel the need, you're doing it wrong.

The rivets are aluminum but the "drawbar" in the centre is steel. If we knock this drawbar out, drilling becomes very easy and the hole will guide the bit. The downside is that the best way to install everything is to use those same type large rivets and a special rivetting tool will be required. You may be able to rent one locally since they are a tad spendy for the hobbyist.

To knock the drawbar out of the rivet, almost any punch can be used but the safest ones are those spring loaded "pull and let it snap" type (not the push hard, automatic type). Check out MAC tools for the CP32R00-1 punches.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Try engaging the switch and shutting the door.

Reply to
john smith

The same thing happened to my 2000 GT Coupe and I remembered someone saying to give it a good knock. That didn't do it for me so I took the motor out (didn't have to break any rivets).Plugged it in and hit the switch....and it started working again.So I put together and it has worked for about a year now.

Reply to
GILL

PFM effect. I fix computers like that all the time.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Thanks to all. Much closer inspection (with the front bottom speaker out) revealed the front bottom follower was part way out of the track at the very bottom and hanging on that. Must have jarred it out somehow. Loosened up the front track (didn't want to pry on anything) and pushed, pulled, twisted and tweaked until the bastard slid back in. M A J O R PITA!

Reply to
Rick Olive