What's the best way to clean engine parts?

I'm not sure how to ask this question without seeming ignorant, but since I am ignorant, I guess that's ok.

I have a '65 coupe that I'm starting to rebuild. It has been in pieces for a long time. I've contacted a professional who will help me with the hard stuff, but I'm willing to do grunt work to save money.

So this guy told me to clean all the grime off of the chassis and engine parts. What is the most effective way to do that? I'm doing this in my basement, and don't want the whole house to smell like gasoline or kerosene. Now that it is getting warmer (Georgia), I can work in the back yard, but at some point all this stuff has to go back in the basement for storage.

One neighbor told me to just buy all new parts, but I'd rather spend time and save money. But I don't want this to take forever either.

Another guy told me to buy a parts washer. How do they work?

Should internal engine parts (pistons and such) be treated differently than external parts?

I have a small sand blaster, and my pro told me to get some glass beads for it. Where does that fit into the process?

Any information is appreciated.

-Rick

Reply to
dont.bother

Michael Johnson

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Somewhere near you is probably a truck station; either a major truck stop on an interstate, or a large trucking company; which will have in close proximity, a major wash station. A drive through similar to your local self serve car wash, and some have either a pit or a ramp so you can get to the underside. They tend to use higher pressure and good jet of steam steam (not the weak stuff you normally find at the local self serve car wash).

Reply to
Spike

I wasn't aware of such a thing until you mentioned it. (Remember, I'm ignorant.) I saw one at Northern Tool this afternoon, but its price (>$1000) seems like overkill to clean the parts on one car. (I'm not in this as a hobby. My Dad bought this car new when I was 11. Once I get this baby back on the road, my restoration days are done.)

But, I'll look around some more at hot tanks anyway.

Reply to
dont.bother

Hmmm. That doesn't seem very practical in my case. When I say the car is in pieces, I mean pieces. The car is literally in boxes. The engine is completely disassembled. There is hardly a bolt anywhere that has not been turned. Most of them are in labeled baggies.

But that does make me wonder if a portable steam cleaner would be effective. Any opinions?

-Rick

Reply to
dont.bother

Reply to
Michael Johnson

A high pressure washer can do wonders to remove grease and grime. For parts that have a varnish coating this won't work but maybe a good long soak in a solvent will do the job.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

You would surprised at how well common household cleaner can work here. Scrape away as much of the grime as you can with a putty knife. Use Easy Off oven cleaner for the steel parts. Dawn dishwashing detergent, brillo pads, and plenty of water; preferably hot water. Simple Green works very well without damaging hands , parts, or sinks.

Reply to
.boB

SNIP

If you get a good one. There is a tool rental place a couple of blocks from me that rents construction grade equipment. That type would be the type to look for. And they do work quite well, although not as powerful as the previous recommendation.

Reply to
Spike

Get yourself a safety-kleen set up.

If that isn't in the budget, I recommend you PISS on your parts and then use a tooth brush.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Or build your own out of disposable stuff.... half an old 55 gal drum, etc.

Reply to
Spike

Thanks to all who posted serious replies. What seems to be working for me is the "Purple Power" stuff for degreasing parts. The stuff will even soften the varnish on the internal engine guts. I haven't tried it on anything aluminum yet, but the directions say to be careful there.

And sandblasting with glass beads seems to cut the layer of rust off of chassis parts nicely for repainting.

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
dont.bother