04 GT Traction Control Switch

What's with this traction control switch in the 04 GT's? Is there some way to permamently turn it off? It's a real pain in the ass to keep switching it off everytime I start the car.

Gumby...

Reply to
Gumby

There are a few ways to do this. One involves a flash or chip tune to disable it, which means it can't be turned on if needed. Another permanent but cheaper solution is a Ford kit to permanently disable it, it's used by law enforcement in other Ford vehicles. It's just a loop plug that plugs into the harness under the dash in place of the switch, I have the part number somewhere. There are also different "black box" electronics that plug in between the harness and switch which "pres the button" every time you start your car, some of these remember the last setting and switch it appropriately. One of the simplest and cheapest ways is to mount an spst switch somewhere, like the glove compartment, and wire it in parallel with the factory switch. When this added switch is in the ON position the traction control will be OFF when you start the engine, just as if you held the traction control switch down while you started it, and the factory switch will also be disabled. When the new switch is OFF when the engine's started the system will work normally, and if switched OFF while the engine is running will leave the TC off but enable the factory switch.

Reply to
WraithCobra

I thought there was also a sequence of steps that you could take to disable it... something you'd never stumble upon any other way but knowing the sequence (kinda like a video game's cheat code at the beginning)... may want to check the owner's manual.

JS

Reply to
JS

Nope, can't be disabled that way.