1986 GT AOD shift skips from 2nd to OD

Hey,

I have a 1986 Mustang GT with an AOD that will skip gears if I'm too easy on the throttle. If I use WOT it will shift 1 - 2 and than bog down by skipping to Over Drive. Usually happens after the car is warmed up. I would appreciate any one's imput as to why this is happening. Thanks! Sean

Reply to
Sean

needs rebuild with transgo shift kit

Reply to
IsellJeeps

I'm interested in the "why" ...as in "why does my transmission skip 3rd and go right to Overdrive' Is it a vaccum issue; band adjustment; etc. Thanks, Sean

Reply to
Sean

It's a Ford AOD...it's supposed to do that. 8-)

Have you ever changed the fluid? Was this a sudden change or did it happen over the course of a few weeks/months? What kind of mileage on the transmission?

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Ritz wrote in news:Ps%Ve.1871$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga:

Actually, depending on the car's speed and how fast you're accelerating, that's sort of correct. If I'm accelerating fairly hard up through 2nd and then let off the gas quickly, it'll go right into OD (it actually hits 3rd, but only for a split second) if I'm going fast enough.

Of course, service is paramount. If you've been neglectful, the problem could be serious.

Joe

My 91 did the same thing ,(stacked shifts), It turned out to be the grommet under the intake where the aod cable end connects. The plastic clip broke. It is hard to see.

Reply to
Oldbottles

Thanks for the responses. I'm the 3rd owner and do not know the service history of the transmission. The car has 56k on it. All stock, engine still has the orignial hoses from the factory with the staples holding the clamps. TheThe guys who had the car before took very good care of engine and body, but may have driven this car hard. The fluid looks fine, and the transmission shifts just fine "most of the time". I was looking for some insight before I jump in too deep.

I'll take a look at the gromment under the intake. Start with the easy stuff first. Thanks again,

Reply to
Sean

Reply to
Wound Up