1990 5.0L Mustang brake/tire failure - Opinions from experienced mechanics needed.

Being ignorant in the field of car repair, I took my vehicle to my trusted mechanic this previous weekend to have the following service performed:

- Steering/Wheel alignment (Off by -2)

- Tire rotation and two new tires for the front

- Fix a hole in my muffer

- Oilchange

- Fix a transmission leak (Transmission filter/pan gasket & speed sensor - two leaks apparently)

I got the car back on saturday afternoon, and drove home. As I was driving home, I smelled a rubber smell (not burning rubber, but, just mild rubber smell) which at first I attributed to the new tires.

I parked my car at home and did not notice any problems such as fluid leaks or anything else. Two hours later, I decided to drive to a local electronics store to get some computer parts, and as I was coming down a hill towards a red light, I began braking and found that my brakes had failed completely - the pedal went straight to the floor with absolutely no resistence whatsoever. I managed to stop the car by pressing the brake pedal all the way to the floor to engage the manual assist, and gradually applied & then fully pulled the e-brake to assist with stopping. I came about 10 feet from flying into cross-traffic and hitting half a dozen cars.

Needless to say, I was shaken up and angry. Being saturday afternoon, there were no places I could send my car to, so I had it towed back to my apartment garage. In the garage, I began examining it to see if I could spot any brake fluid leaks, and found that brake fluid was leaking from around the left front wheel well.

I jacked the car up and peered under it, to see the brake line making contact with the left front wheel. It did not appear to be properly clipped to the wheel strut, and I surmised that this may have been due to carelessness or negligence on the part of my mechanic, but I'm still unsure of that.

Monday morning, yesterday, I towed the car back to my mechanic, and in the process of doing so, both the inner and outer sidewalls of the brand new left front tire completely disintegrated, leaving the tread intact. Upon outfitting my vehicle with the spare in my trunk, the tow truck driver immediately saw where the brake line had been worn through by the wheel and commented that I was extremely fortunate that this incident did not happen on the freeway.

Unfortunately, my webhost is down right now, so I can't post the picture I have of the disentegrated tire, but when my webhost comes back up, you can click this link to see a picture I took with my cameraphone.

(Note: That picture will not work until my webhost resumes operation).

At any rate, I need to get some opinions of experienced professional or amateur mechanics or 5.0 Mustang enthusiasts in regards to what might have caused this. I should be able to provide detailed answers to any questions you may ask that might help shed more light on this incident. Thanks ahead of time for any replies!

Reply to
Visigothan

If it were one sidewall or the other I would expect it was fromm rubbing bodywork or some other component.... both leads me to believe the tire was severely underinflated. This of course would be two totally separate failures to the same corner of the car since underinflation doesn't mean a thing to the brake line wearing through against the wheel.

Reply to
Brent P

Other opinions I've gathered echo yours, Brent P. Mechanics and enthusiasts seem to agree that the brake line was not properly re-attached after the tire rotation/wheel/steering alignment that occurred, resulting in the brake line making contact with the wheel.

In regards to the brake line or brake fluid causing the tire to fail...is this possible? I know brake fluid is corrosive to paint, but unsure about other surfaces. Could friction between the brake line and the tire, or corrosion from brake fluid cause the ensuing tire failure as well?

Reply to
Visigothan

Not that I know of. Even if so, only the inner sidewall would be damaged as it would be exposed to brake fluid, not the outer.

COuld they be old stock dry-rotted tires?

Reply to
Brent P

Well, I just got it back from the shop;

The deal is exactly what I thought it was; the brake line was rubbing the tire, however, and not the wheel. I mistook a groove that the brake line had cut into the tire, as "styling" of the tire itself and didn't notice it because it was so uniform.

Basically, the right front tire had the same thing, because of the brake line cutting into it. My mechanic showed me a 1/4" deep groove that ran the entire way around the tire, on the inner sidewall right below the tread. He said if I'd driven it on the freeway instead of surface streets, I definitely would've gotten my ticket punched.

Anyway, he fixed everything (with no charge) of course and gave me two new tires (again), and put the car up on a lift to show me the brake lines they replaced, and showed me how the new ones were properly clamped in place, out of the way of the tire as they should have been in the first place.

Reply to
Visigothan

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:B7mdnZEof5b6ZqbZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yes, it could. A the tire began to shred and took out the brake line.

Reply to
elaich

I'm glad you got if fixed; but why were the brake lines modified in the first place? Or were they that way when you took it in? Your original list of repairs had nothing to do with brakes. Just curious...

Reply to
jmvannoy